We don’t need that outward facing self now, that nervous, twitchy social self searching for social cues, trying to gauge the mood of the room and fit itself to what it finds.

good

Air is unboundaried. One great unitary plane of perfect freedom. Everything connected under its auspices. And this gives a clue to our own condition, this great and terrible secret, that everything for us is also open and shared. That there is no private experience. That there is no subjectivity. That the imagination is a great commons we all visit, that consciousness is of the same condition as air. It is the shared medium. and The etymology of inspiration is instructive here I think,

This reminds me of one of kpunks best. a darker take, “There are no subjects, only subject matter” the grandma knitting bit...

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/004647.html

The danger, the great temptation, is to retain the dualism between the impersonal and the personal that Freud had so expertly dismantled. Ray put this to me very well once: we cannot think in terms of an opposition between the personal and the impersonal, as if granny doing her knitting was the personal, and the impersonal was the remorseless, gleaming wheels of the Kaptitalist megamachine. No. Granny too is impersonal, and the Kapitalist megamachine produces personality alongside cars and computers.

The great Cold Rationalist lesson is that everything in the so-called personal is in fact the product of impersonal processes of cause and effect which, in principle if not in fact, could be delineated very precisely. And this act of delineation, this stepping outside the character armour that we have confused with ourselves, is what freedom is.

good

luka

Thanks a lot lads. I was really flying when I wrote this. That whole year was magical. It happens sometimes and it doesn't last, so when it's your turn, make sure you get some work done!

Often you can find very specific, often quite malevolent characters in there. for instance I’ve come across these sneering, very young bully boys. Infants actually, hahah. These mocking and jeering presences. That want to trample on your flowers! These are among the cast of characters I refer to as the squatters in the tower. They’ve created a kind of tulpa or eregore and implanted it in your mind and it lives there, at least until you can find the means and wherewithal to eject it.

Is this the internalised voices of childhood bullies? and masculinities? How did you eject?

luka

Whether you can really eject I dunno. At the time it felt like the very act of discovering them in there, hearing those voices etc was the mode of ejection.

luka

I doubt Luka would identify as a cold rationalist but I see parallels

There's definitely parallels. I've talked about it a bit before. The word rationalist makes me see red but I agreed with Mark on a lot of stuff.

entertainment

Thanks a lot lads. I was really flying when I wrote this. That whole year was magical. It happens sometimes and it doesn't last, so when it's your turn, make sure you get some work done!

Putting up excuses! The thoughts are right there for the taking, just beyond the wam, mellow ambience of inertia.

It’s funny to think about these voices we carry around and when they’re invoked

Sometimes they’re well meaning but overly cautious friends, sometimes bullies, sometimes your da. People you respect or fear that cut in and splice onto you in some miniature cartoon form that’s animated when you’re in certain situations or dealing with subject matter that they know too well. It does seem the malevolent ones do speak a bit louder, but they’re saying the same shit, it’s a short and repetitive script

My friend told me I was in her head when she promoting her yoga business on insta, as an inner critic. Part of me finds that very funny but another part feels really saddened by it, maybe it’s useful at times but if was really useful she’d probably just ask me about something, but doesn’t. I don’t like the idea of living in someones head as a belittling goblin.

I’d rather be the one enabling, saying fuck it have a go but it doesn’t come naturally. Its partly an Irish thing too. I can access the encouraging part of myself at times, sometimes through writing, it can get really corny. When I see it strongly in action in others, when it’s graceful and focused it makes me well up.

entertainment

You have voice in there, too, that is no-one's making but your own. Is this who I want to be? How does this choice lead me towards my goal?

A problem with this voice that I stumble upon is that it's not a consistent character. It can morph in and out of different opinions, values, personalities and sensibilities. It's opposing forces, cutting down each other's distinctive traits and mannerisms until all are reduced and watered down. All edges rounded and all colours mixed together, cancelling each other out.

Yeah I can get that, a sort of relativistic churning into a mulch that slows your rudder til you’re just sitting there doing fuck all.

The Freudian "censor" is less of a moral function than an indispensable condition of learning. Were we to accept fully and directly every shock to our various structures of awareness, we would soon be nervous wrecks, doing double-takes and pressing pan c buttons every minute. The "censor" protects our central system of values, as it does our physical nervous system by simply cooling off the onset of experience a great deal. For many people, this cooling system brings on a lifelong state of psychic rigor mortis, or of somnambulism, particularly observable in periods of new technology.

McLuhan

Folks have asked me recently how I am able to write so much.

The answer is that it isn't me who's writing.

Modesty? Metaphor? Or (lol) post-structuralism?

No. A strictly technical desciption of how this body has been used as a meat puppet for channeling uttunul signal.

It's only when the writing is bad that 'I' have produced it. When it's good 'I' am just a space through which Lemuria speaks.

The writing is already assembled on the plane and all 'I' can do is bodge it by introducing subjectivist fuzz.

Schizophrenia? Religious mania?

Well, what makes these things dangerous is the thing that make drugs dangerous - i.e. it is not the state of ego-loss itself but the imprecision of the art of maintaining it, the fact that the organism might resume its rights at any moment, crashing you into psychic mini-deaths and meleancholy catatonia.

The problem with drugs is that they only put the Alien Parasite Entity (= His Majesty the Ego = the thing that calls itself you) to sleep. Their dissolution of the APE is temporary, all-too temporary. And after a while, the neuronal battleground - what you are fighting over AND what you are fighting with, i.e. the only resources you have - is itself damaged. APE has its way as you are dragged/drugged into permanent low-to-deep level depression.

It is only as part of a Cold Rationalist program that you can begin to permanently dissolve the APE. It's a lifelong struggle, it'll always lurk in the shadows and in your reflection and photographs, waiting for another opportunity to drag you back down into the looking glass world of personalised misery.

APE won't listen to reason but it can be dissolved by it.

Hey kids: could there be a better reason to read Spinoza? He tells you not to get out of your head but how to get out through your head.

(But let's not fetishise Spinoza, it's not about Spinoza the Genius but about the Cold Rationalist program that he delivers. The Gnostics got there too, sorcerers, Burroughs, Castenada...).

The Cold Rationalist program is Abstract Ecstasy.

Drugs are like an escape kit without an instruction manual. Taking MDMA is like improving MS Windows: no matter how much tinkering $ Bill does, MS Windows will always be shit because it is built on top of the rickety structure of DOS. In the same way, using ecstasy will always fuck up in the end because Human OS has not been taken out and dismantled.

The Cold Rationalist program tells you how to auto-affect your brain into a state of ecstasy.

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/003926.html

luka

I like all that stuff. That's my favourite Mark. Not whinging about bad telly or whatever.

catalog

I'm gonna print these out and make a mini pamphlet as well.

Cruel and unusual tags on this thread, not a version job.

Does video exist of the actual talk?