The Independent Group

droid

Fascinating... So, in order to lead effectively one must eschew reform and acquiesce to the demands of the institutions of one of the most violent and despicable states in human history... Military intelligence running psy-ops against Corbyn is... Corbyn's fault. Members of the most murderous regiment of the British army using Corbyn as target practise in a chilling display of contempt for democracy is... Corbyn's fault.

DannyL

Wild Horses
It's not entirely his fault, it takes two to tango but...

Here's Seamus Milne on the murder of Lee Rigby: "So the attack wasn't terrorism in the normal sense of an indiscriminate attack on civilians" - when your closest aide says something like that, it really is no wonder they pick him as a target.

droid

And youre wilfully distorting Milne. here's the full quote.

The videoed butchery of Fusilier Lee Rigby outside Woolwich barracks last May was a horrific act and his killers' murder conviction a foregone conclusion. Rigby was a British soldier who had taken part in multiple combat operations in Afghanistan. So the attack wasn't terrorism in the normal sense of an indiscriminate attack on civilians.

The killing of an unarmed man far from the conflict, however, by self-appointed individuals with non-violent political alternatives, isn't condoned by any significant political or religious tradition. Quite apart from morality, the impact was violently counter-productive for the Muslims that Rigby's killers claimed to be defending, as Islamophobic attacks spiked across Britain...

...There can't, after all, be the slightest doubt about what Rigby's killers thought they were doing. Michael Adebolajo spelled it out on the streets and in court. This was a "military attack", he claimed, in retaliation for Britain's occupation and violence in "Muslim lands", from Iraq to Afghanistan and beyond.

"Leave our lands and you can live in peace," the London-born Muslim convert told bystanders. The message couldn't be clearer. It was the same delivered by the 2005 London bomber, Mohammed Siddique Khan, and the Iraqi 2007 Glasgow attacker, Bilal Abdullah, who declared: "I wanted the public to have a taste" of what its government of "murderers did to my people".

To say these attacks are about "foreign policy" prettifies the reality. They are the predicted consequence of an avalanche of violence unleashed by the US, Britain and others in eight direct military interventions in Arab and Muslim countries that have left hundreds of thousands of dead. Only the wilfully blind or ignorant can be shocked when there is blowback from that onslaught at home. The surprise should be that there haven't been more such atrocities.

Mainstream Islamic teaching supports the right to resist foreign occupation, while rejecting violence against non-combatants or outside the battlefield. But it is the US and its closest allies in the war on terror who have declared the whole world to be a battlefield, in which they claim the right to kill whoever they deem to be a threat...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/20/woolwich-attack-muslim-world-islamophobia

droid

And of course, according to IHL, attacks on combatants who are off duty, not on the battlefield or otherwise hors de combat is not defined as terrorism but as a war crime, and redundant as it may be to point this out, the British army (and specifically the Parachute regiment) does this on a regular basis.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I recognise that what I'm saying is that you can't have effective government and radical change. And Lord knows we need the latter in light of climate breakdown and a myriad of other issues. But that is pretty much what I think. I did think of mentioning this in the post above with an appeal for counter-examples? Anyone?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Milne is a genocide-denying fuckhead and belongs in exactly the same moral category as David Irving. The main difference between them is that Irving isn't currently chief spin doctor to the leader of the Labour Party.