iconic, foundational and pivotal sets of 93/93 retro sets

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the question is when those two diametric tendancies collide. the underground and the pop minded. too much in the underground and you get heads jumping to hard techno and hard acid in 1992 (tbh i would have probably done this at the time as well.) yet reading it too much from the perspective of shades of rhythm and bizarre inc primes you for happy hardcore and handbag, not jungle eventually. so i think it's healthy to tilt more to the underground but *without* losing sight of crossovers and the mainstream. this is where pure underground people make the mistake. conversely some of the rave hits that got into the charts were absolutely fucking crap. baby d? black box? do fucking one.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
let me be your fantasy whilst a white ex-con turns you away from the club because you have the wrong skin colour and look the wrong type. yeah lads. fantasy indeed.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
not as listeners, as players.

yeah but barty you're never gonna get good at darbuka you need an ustad to teach you for 10 years straight. noone cares about that just put them in the machine and chop them up. noone wants to make natural sounding machine music other than for romanticist purposes. just don't be a pitchfork sub-talvin singh. learn to love and then chop chop.

sadmanbarty

yeah but barty you're never gonna get good at darbuka you need an ustad to teach you for 10 years straight. .

that's your orientalism speaking. you're envisioning magical people from these magical far away places with their magical instruments attaining this unattainable music. in reality they're normal blokes playing drums just like anyone else. i could play the stuff from the videos you posted.

luka

that's your orientalism speaking. you're envisioning magical people from these magical far away places with their magical instruments attaining this unattainable music. in reality they're normal blokes playing drums just like anyone else. i could play the stuff from the videos you posted.

Video

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
barty thinks i am anti-trisillo. actually he is wrong. i utterly adore the hip shaking sexuality of that rhythm. the problem is barty wants to screw me blind like a feminist. give me industrial trisillo bart!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
im all alone racking up the pub gak like philip sherburne now ffs. don't worry barty you didn't steal my sister you haven't committed the ultimate colonial crime, yet. talk to me!

luka

Bahti try and learn this ancient magical orientalist riddim. Don't come back to us until you can feel the camel beneath your thighs.

luka

we will convert the infidel don't worry. Soon he will be belly dancing in a Lebanese restaurant for pocket money.