Great thread, very funny, nice selection. I couldn’t sleep last night and read it all in one go, then dreamt about craner. Not as an actual person in my dreams just a kind of presence. It’s not the first time something like this has happened.

Agree with corpsey’s point about the personal meaning of music being great to read about, especially if it’s flavouring the aesthetic analysis and cultural moment etc

One of the most interesting bits ( and I don’t know how much you were taking the piss) was the Alice Coltrane part about suppressing your spiritual side

catalog

No I haven’t. Funnily enough a CD got stuck in my car stereo last Thursday so I have had to buy a new stereo, and have to wait until Sunday for Halfords to put it in. As I commute every day to work, an hour each way, and the radio stations in South Wales are appallingly bad, it is agony.

The CD that got stuck was Coltrane’s Crescent.
Did you replace your stereo with another cd players one? I just bought an old car, and it's got cd player and radio only, was thinking of swapping it out for a dab radio with AUX. Cos alot of my cds are lost or scratched. I expect you've kept yours in impeccable nick?

craner

Beast of Burden
I did but because it was new it also had a USB port so I've ended up plugging my phone in and listening to Spotify more than CDs which has meant spiraling playlists, a new Vodaphone contract to increase my data allowance and the inevitable surrender to Premium.

version

Did you replace your stereo with another cd players one? I just bought an old car, and it's got cd player and radio only, was thinking of swapping it out for a dab radio with AUX. Cos alot of my cds are lost or scratched. I expect you've kept yours in impeccable nick?
There's actually a drawing of Craner having trouble with his car stereo. Matthew drew it for me.

"Craner hurtling down the motorway, hand stuck in CD player as Coltrane's Crescent blares out, business papers flying out the window and scattering across the road, credit card covered in tape in his mouth. luka's first experience of plant initiation in 1999. [droid: I second this. Perhaps you could shoehorn Luka's plant initiation into the back seat?]"

zfbpXa0.jpg

catalog

Just read through the whole thread, very good, played a few tunes (god I've not heard jimi hendrix in ages, why not? And that shola ama garage remix was very nice). Some quality bants from like and barty. I like it when yyaldrin popped up about sex mix. Now got the Spotify list on shuffle, this ymo tune is ace. Nice one craner and nice one Corpsey. And shiels for bumping it in the first place.

catalog

One thing about this list from craner: no grime. Which is quite interesting considering that killah priest is number 1. Not a criticism, just an observation. If I ever did a top list I'd have at least 3 grime tracks I think.

luka

Craner was never interested in grime. I don't think he ever listened to it at all, even out of curiosity. It doesn't fit his aesthetic. It's not suave. It's not seductive.

catalog

I get that, but I would have thought he would be able to find something in there that would be of interest. Like a good wiley instrumental would, I would have thought, fit his exacting criteria. Each to his own of course tho, I like his comment somewhere on the list where he says music is freedom. It's sort of cheesy, but it's also a very deep and true sentiment