luka

It reminds me of mvuent's thread in that it's all on one level, it doesn't peak or trough so you're just held there, tense. The Loski tune has release and tension all the way through.

Yeah that's one of the things I like about it. There's variation in the words speed and pattern changes but no ups and downs really. Mveunts thread was too technical for me. Went over my head

version

The stuff I'm talking about re: production in here plays into what I was talking about re: surface last night, it all feels part of the same thing to me. I have this bundle of images and associations in my head made up of greys, blues, ice, water in video games, very clean flat textures, chrome etc.

version

Burial does this thing in his later material where he takes traditionally lo-fi sounds like radio static and renders them very cleanly, lots of EQ/filter sweeps and stuff and there's something about it that really gets me, like when the spoon goes through chocolate mousse and leaves a very clean, yet imperfect, bubbled texture.

piciQAfYm.jpg

luka

The stuff I'm talking about re: production in here plays into what I was talking about re: surface last night, it all feels part of the same thing to me. I have this bundle of images and associations in my head made up of greys, blues, ice, water in video games, very clean flat textures, chrome etc.

I'm not proposing a formal connection here at all but as an aside I'm getting more and more agitated by the huge monoliths of smooth glass that are reproducing all over London. It's a radical flattening and homogenising of space. I'm not talking so much about the skyscrapers here. I'm talking about the lower rise ones that stretch out over a whole block or more. What is replaced is a whole host of, individually unremarkable, but disparate, much smaller buildings from a variety of time periods. Much more stimulation for the eye. I, starting to feel quite frantic every time I see another one of these going up. I'm going to flip out and start screaming one of these days. It strikes me as immensely destructive.

version

I'm not proposing a formal connection here at all but as an aside I'm getting more and more agitated by the huge monoliths of smooth glass that are reproducing all over London. It's a radical flattening and homogenising of space. I'm not talking so much about the skyscrapers here. I'm talking about the lower rise ones that stretch out over a whole block or more. What is replaced is a whole host of, individually unremarkable, but disparate, much smaller buildings from a variety of time periods. Much more stimulation for the eye. I, starting to feel quite frantic every time I see another one of these going up. I'm going to flip out and start screaming one of these days. It strikes me as immensely destructive.

Everyone seems to live in very clean, white, minimal spaces too. The IKEA aesthetic, everything looks like it was made by Apple.

version

E-cigs, a toilet with no handle, a mirror with no frame, a rug that's pinned to the wall rather than being on the floor, a bit of driftwood from another country.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Everyone seems to live in very clean, white, minimal spaces too. The IKEA aesthetic, everything looks like it was made by Apple.

did you guys ever went up the tate museum and go to this outside area where you can watch the adjacent building? what can i say, it's insane. you can watch into the apartments of the flat next to it and all of them look the same. a plant in the corner, designer sofa opposite of it. some people walking around in them. i genuinely thought it was part of the exhibition but they were real apartments, with real interior designs with real people in it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-overlooked-Tate-Modern-viewing-platform.html

version

It's like the room at the end of 2001.

“I’ve tried to avoid doing this ever since the picture came out,” Kubrick says. “When you just say the ideas they sound foolish, whereas if they’re dramatized one feels it, but I’ll try. The idea was supposed to be that he is taken in by god-like entities, creatures of pure energy and intelligence with no shape or form. They put him in what I suppose you could describe as a human zoo to study him, and his whole life passes from that point on in that room. And he has no sense of time. It just seems to happen as it does in the film.”

Kubrick explains the god-like entities chose the famous bedroom (which he says is an “inaccurate replica of French architecture”) because “they had some idea of something that [Bowman] might think was pretty, but wasn’t quite sure.” Kubrick compares the bedroom in “2001” to the spaces where animals live at the zoo that “we think is their natural environment.”

CrowleyHead

The Ikea & Apple Tech Maoist Aesthetic believes in minimalization of the interfering forces, sleekness and avoiding contact. Austerity. Severe Piety.

Question, in the UK, do you see people walk around with bluetooth speakers on just in public as they walk or bike or whatever like we do here? And how soon did you remember the lost portable stereo days and realize the gap in time between these periods?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't suppose Luka wants this thread to turn into musings on architecture, but Crowley's comment makes me think that the way to indicate edginess or rebellion now in architecture is (or was, perhaps, until it became another cliché) to have that style of interior where the pipes are all exposed. Mildly edgy coffee shops do this. Perhaps there's an analogue here to certain producers - deconstructed club and all that, vs. the shininess of commercial house/pop/EDM.

luka

I don't mind what happens to it now I've succeeded in getting some engagement. Feel free to digress.