luka

I love it. You have to keep playing it till it becomes powerful and profound and haunting.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have noticed this quality in some drill of the beat sounding like it's "stuck", somehow this might link it back to grime, very loopy (combined with the filtered down synth and the occasional hiccuping explosion of pitch bended bass), pressure cooker feel, remember "Bang" by Keef?

I'd have to live with the rapping more to appreciate it, I reckon Incognito is the better one of the two. I like when rappers flow into each other on a track, some of my favourite grime tunes are the posse cuts like Xtra, Frontline, When I'm Ere, a microphone relay.

luka

I like the speed the sinuous quality and the horizontality. It's not blocky. Its not peaks and troighs.

sadmanbarty

the rapping's where it loses me. not lyrically of course; the chuckle chinging is the best thing ever said in the english language, but musically a bit off. if luke's in the mood he should sell me on it.

version

The best thing about drill, imo, is the beats/production. I love the stuff where they low-pass all the pads and whatnot so it's got this very clean, buried greyness to it.

luka

It'll kill my data if I try and do that I think. Its really deft and neat without drawing attention to its itself with those characteristic bursts of speed (without sounding rushed) and little isolated rhythmic motifs inserted within the verses, little rat a tat knots of rhythm. Lots of memorable moments.

sadmanbarty

The best thing about drill, imo, is the beats/production. I love the stuff where they low-pass all the pads and whatnot so it's got this very clean, buried greyness to it.

my initial interest was the drums. they immediately made me think of jungle

then it was the mediative, womb-like quality, which the low pass filters play their part in.

then luke did that post about the morse code style of mcing and i fell in love with it all over again.

version

It reminds me of 40's production, Actress, The Weeknd, Burial etc, it's all got that sanded down greyness to it, like looking at smoke or fog on an HD TV.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't really get the womb calmness but I'm probably being too literal minded

Like calmness serenity isn't what I think of - enclosure, claustrophobia more

sadmanbarty

I don't really get the womb calmness but I'm probably being too literal minded

Like calmness serenity isn't what I think of - enclosure, claustrophobia more

to be fair that would have been early 2017 or so. the sound might have evolved since then.

version

I think it varies from tune to tune, that Loski one is quite relaxing to my ears. The Moscow one is almost unbearably claustrophobic and tense.

luka

I always felt the compulsion to make songs, a product, was a big factor in the downfall of grime. Horrible choruses so the fact this isn't a song is a big plus for me. It feels like playacting, making a song. Like its not music any more, its playing at being music

version

It reminds me of mvuent's thread in that it's all on one level, it doesn't peak or trough so you're just held there, tense. The Loski tune has release and tension all the way through.