FLUCTUATION IN SUPERHUMAN ABILITIES

luka

Do you people exist more or less on a constant consistent plateau or do you find you are prone to large fluctuations in your abilities, in how tuned in you feel, in your access to the supercomputer and databanks?

If the latter does this cause you distress? How do you cope with the times when it's not all Flowy Zoe and brainsparks?

Last edited:

luka

This is an important question for me.would appreciate sincere committed engagement.

mvuent

Void Dweller
yeah absolutely. a lot of different factors affect this I guess. sleep is a particularly weird one for me, since sometimes going without it seems to make me more creative/attuned/able to do things, other times the complete opposite. (but maybe that's more prosaic than what you're thinking of.)

do you feel you've experienced any long term changes? like now vs when you were 20?

Last edited:

Leo

it's human nature, isn't it? events and circumstances impact emotions, which in turn impact behavior, motivation, "performance". our brains are operating systems that occasionally slow down and need to be rebooted, like every other piece of hardware.

mvuent's right, sleep is an issue. getting older is obviously a factor in terms of stamina and self-reflection. gazing back on what you've accomplished or not accomplished in life and the creeping sense of dread as morality looms usually aren't great inspirationally motivating forces!

droid

For various reasons Ive been interested in meta-cognition for years, originally as an outgrowth of general introverted navel gazing but later as part of various work i've done in education. Its important to know how you think and what your moods/energy will let you do at any given time.

Creatively I go up and down, as I think everyone does, but if you know its happening you can choose to do certain things at certain times to level it out, so instead of feeling shitty and depressed that you haven't accomplished anything in a while, use the time to do something less taxing (research or reading for example) so when you go back up you have something to build on. If things are really bad, recognise it and allow yourself to wallow. Save the cosmic brain surgery for when things are good, and dont waste those days.

if you dont bend to the winds of circumstance, memory and emotion you'll be uprooted. Accept that and adapt.

mvuent

Void Dweller
getting older is obviously a factor in terms of stamina and self-reflection. gazing back on what you've accomplished or not accomplished in life and the creeping sense of dread as morality looms usually aren't great inspirationally motivating forces!
yeah looking forward to all that :D

what about in terms of the things the things luka mentioned? generally feel like you're getting more or less "tuned in" (whatever that means exactly) than in the past? no difference?

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Do you people exist more or less on a constant consistent plateau or do you find you are prone to large fluctuations in your abilities, in how tuned in you feel, in your access to the supercomputer and databanks?

If the latter does this cause you distress? How do you cope with the times when it's not all Flowy Zoe and brainsparks?

I don't know what you're talking about, and I doubt anyone else does either, but maybe ketamine will do the trick. Just trying to help. I mean, Lilly said it plugged him into the cosmic supercomputer in Center of the Cyclone (by then he was out of his mind), so it might work for you.

DannyL

Wild Horses
For various reasons Ive been interested in meta-cognition for years, originally as an outgrowth of general introverted navel gazing but later as part of various work i've done in education. Its important to know how you think and what your moods/energy will let you do at any given time.

Creatively I go up and down, as I think everyone does, but if you know its happening you can choose to do certain things at certain times to level it out, so instead of feeling shitty and depressed that you haven't accomplished anything in a while, use the time to do something less taxing (research or reading for example) so when you go back up you have something to build on. If things are really bad, recognise it and allow yourself to wallow. Save the cosmic brain surgery for when things are good, and dont waste those days.

if you dont bend to the winds of circumstance, memory and emotion you'll be uprooted. Accept that and adapt.

Anything good to read on this?

I've read Dan Kahnemann on cognitive errors and biases which is crazily accurate when you map it over to politics. I'm looking forwards to the next episode of Freakenomics Radio which is about the planning fallacy - the way we underestimate how long it will take us to do anything, which Kahnemann discusses in depth in Thinking Fast & Slow

DannyL

Wild Horses
To be more on topic, what is of great interest to me is how much moods can fluctuate with breath and bodywork. I can pretty much shake off any mild bad mood with breathwork now, often in seconds. A few breaths, coughing to loosen the diaphragm and it's gone. This is an output of all the Reichian therapy.

droid

Just finished a 3 week nightmare stretch with 5 very challenging deadlines which seemed impossible at the outset. I just wanna sleep now but the urge to roll on and get everything else done is also strong.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Meditate while you masturbate. Masturbate while you meditate. This generates an electro-quantum field, awakening the higher senses which allow you to perceive subtle energies that do not interact with the matter/energy reality we inhabit. Or just stay addicted to an obscure/obsolete forum about obscure/obsolete music and obscure/obsolete theory and kind of wait until something changes.

luka

Yes mate I like talking to my friends about things I love it's my favourite thing to do