5G

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Conspiranauts going nuts over gubbermint mind-control beams 2.0.

I've also seen people claiming (in all apparent seriousness) that it's intended to cause cancer for 'population control' purposes.

sufi

lala
It's just faster internets isn't it?

i think there's a bigger issue about untested tech, but that's not what you're asking about.

what are you asking about?

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't know, I was hoping somebody would be able to elaborate or comment on the quote I posted. Is it really just downloading movies more quickly, or will it have a more profound impact on or for states and societies?

sufi

lala
isn't the comment in the first post about how this new channel is out of US control. Not that shocking unless you actually buy "the conventional wisdom held that the Chinese only could copy but not innovate"

About time really. US dominance is only at the level of branding, since the hardware manufacture has been offshored for ages, they don't really have a straw to clutch as this https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies (inconclusively debunked) sort of thing demonstrates

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, I suppose, but I was more interested in why it is "a game changer" (as he claims) rather than the US-China conflict side of things which is maybe slightly less interesting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In fairness, Chinese industry is very good at emulating tech invented elsewhere. While I was working at ASML a few years ago, a Chinese firm began making knock-off versions of some of our machines that even looked the same and had a similar name. They were miles out in terms of spec but that wasn't the point, because they were far cheaper and were aiming for a different section of the market.

Of course, that's not mutually exclusive with innovating as well. The article makes a good point about the popularity of engineering degrees in China. Indeed the whole culture has a respect and enthusiasm for science that's practically vanished from Western countries (except maybe Israel, to the extent that Israel counts as a 'Western' country). Which is odd when you set it against the massive popularity of traditional Chinese medicine, but then no-one ever said a culture has to be rigorously internally consistent.

luka

These American essays are always so nakedly imperialistic. You get it here too, particularly in reference to China. You can smell the fear.

luka

It does irtitate me when craner shares this oiled pectorals shit as if it were serious

craner

Beast of Burden
It's more than the China angle. The potential impact on political and social interactions, further implications for the relation between individuals and states.

Don Rosenberg thinks 5G will change the world, again, like all the other Gs did. The question is how?

The first generation of mobile communications, with brick-sized phones, brought just a handful of users expensive and often unreliable analogue voice calling. The second generation introduced digital voice service that was less likely to be dropped, available to many more people and ultimately cheaper to use. 3G ushered in the mobile internet, mobile computing, and the proliferation of apps. 4G (often called LTE) made possible all we have come to expect of mobile broadband: streaming video and audio; instantaneous ride hailing; the explosion of social media.[...]

Think about a world in which not just people but all things are connected: cars to the roads they are on; doctors to the personal medical devices of their patients; augmented reality available to help people shop and learn and explore wherever they are. This requires a massive increase in the level of connectivity.

5G is the technological answer, making possible billions of new connections, and making those connections secure and instantaneous. 5G will impact every industry – autos, healthcare, manufacturing and distribution, emergency services, just to name a few. And 5G is purposely designed so that these industries can take advantage of cellular connectivity in ways that wouldn’t have been possible before, and to scale upwards as use of 5G expands.

Edit: not ruling out that it will be amazing!

Last edited:

sufi

lala
Russia also in the mix according to this fact-free propaganda extravaganza
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/science/5g-phone-safety-health-russia.html
my friend Arthur gets dissed, but not de-bunked

some cool graphics though
merlin_153372570_ce49ea5f-c942-43ce-9da3-871effb28cfb-superJumbo.jpg

That is how your head is gonna be when 5g is switched on, if its not already

luka

I got about twenty of them fucking towers on my block I'm so paranoid I think it's melting my brain