Amsterdam - what's good?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Here now. We're really central, just a few minutes from the Amstel. Got some things booked in. Going for Indonesian tonight but keen to try Senegalese too. Cheers all.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've already bought a T-shirt of Bart Simpson as a rasta with red eyes and a massive spliff.

kevinoak

Actually without knowing you and your interests and the reasons why you chose to go to Amsterdam it’s impossible to give any specific advice. For general advice about things to do, see these instagram travel blogs. Choose the blogger you like and follow his/her recommendations.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Actually without knowing you and your interests and the reasons why you chose to go to Amsterdam it’s impossible to give any specific advice. For general advice about things to do, see these instagram travel blogs. Choose the blogger you like and follow his/her recommendations.

Thank You to kevinoak For This Useful Post

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just got home. Was in Utrecht the last two days anyway. Lovely city. Had a pretty great time generally (and spend far too much money).

benjybars

village elder.
Heading to Amsterdam on Thursday. There for 3 days.
I'm going with my 4-year-old daughter.. Any child-friendly recommendations?!

luka

Hi Benjy Have You Considered Kevin Oaks Advice Above?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I have a hard time with zoos. What's so great about the one in Amsterdam?

I'm not normally massively into them myself, but it's really big and thoughtfully laid out and they've got all the really classic 'charismatic megafauna' (your lions, elephants, gorillas, parrots etc.) as well as some less obvious animals - fascinating tiny mammals, amazing beetles, fish, octopuses, all sorts. I like really snails so I enjoyed the snailarium a lot. For a lot of them you can ambiently wander around among them. This is especially neat in the case of the tropical butterflies - actually that chamber also contains some small, very brightly-coloured frogs, which I guessed (it turns out correctly) to be poison-arrow frogs. How that got OK'd on health and safety grounds, I'll never know.

The performing sealions are just next level, they have to be seen.

Only downside is that it's a bit sad seeing obviously intelligent creatures kept in enclosures that would normally have a huge range, but on the flipside, at least at the zoo they're not in danger from fucking poachers or bushmeat hunters or whatever.

Oh and there's a special museum of microbes next door that's also managed by the zoo, so you can make a saving by buying tickets for both attractions. We spent a good half a day there and there were still some animals we didn't see.

version

Only downside is that it's a bit sad seeing obviously intelligent creatures kept in enclosures that would normally have a huge range, but on the flipside, at least at the zoo they're not in danger from fucking poachers or bushmeat hunters or whatever.

Yeah, this is my issue. I just can't get past the fact that they're in captivity.