A review of Padraig (U.S)

Leo

80 bucks all Inc?! How good can a burger ever really be? What makes them stand out? Trying to imagine... Argentinian/Kobe beef mix with some fancy seasoning? HQ Brioche? Posh imported cheese? What more can there be to it?

sounds crazy but if we do the math it's not unusual: hip upscale restaurants typically charge in the neighborhood of $20 for their gourmet burger, so that's $40 for two people right there. then wine or cocktails are easily 10-15 per glass, so two drinks each is another $40-60. And that doesn't even include appetizers or dessert.

it sounds absurd but with tax and tip included, it's really pretty easy to hit $100 for two people in most major cities here.

also, keep in mind Americans tend to tip an additional 20% on the bill, since service isn't included and that's how waitstaff make a living.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Ya, Leo's math is basically right.

I eat out at places like once every couple years if that, tbc. I mean I eat out maybe once in a month in general.

but I went with a lady friend cos my friends who work there - 80% of the kitchen, basically told me me to come by and they'd take care of us

our food was like 45 for a burger, another entree (she got a lamb iirc), and an appetizer. then she had two cocktails, which was like another 25.

but they also brought us a ton of off-menu stuff for free, so I wound up tipping 30 on our $70 bill - when you got comped, or discounted, or given free stuff, the custom - assuming you're a good person and not an asshole - is basically to tip generously on what the full bill would've been

the burger itself was I think 17, not at all outlandish by the standards of upscale burgers