IdleRich

IdleRich
he said how embarrassed he was about his part in it and that he's since learned to make birds squirt since and it's all water under the bridge
Very apposite choice of words - it does sound like something Padraig would have said.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's a real shame so many people wanna go for the racist vote but the vote share picture is heartening. And I'm delighted people are waking up how useless Corbyn is, might be beginning of the end for him, though hell prob cling on like a barnacle. Enjoying a bit if schadenfreude this morning.

yeh, but the libdems and greens are worse than corbyn. we don't have a good political icon in the UK even by the standards of parliamentary politics. open secret in British politics is not that since the 70s labour has been losing votes, but both parties. and the tories haven't had a governing majority since 92.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corbyn is useless but he's a useful idiot for both the right and left bureaucratic wings of the labour party, if you know what I mean. politics these days is a kind of non-familial nepotism.

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm no Corbyn fan, but I think he's right to be cautious re: Brexit. Right now, we are in an unprecedented situation and simply rushing to a 2nd Referendum position before proper detailed data modelling/analysis has been attempted is not sensible.

Bear also this in mind. In a minority government situation, he might actually need to rely on some Brexit Party MPs - most of them will lean right economically I imagine, but who knows really?

The point is that normal political calculus is out of the window right now. Kneejerk reactions probably aren't the way to go.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A Corbynite Labour/BXP coalition? Christ, can you even imagine?

Never gonna happen though. It's important for Corbyn, McCluskey et al to maintain the illusion that there is "good" economic nationalism (their kind) and "bad" economic nationalism (the Tory Leaver/UKIP/BXP kind).

Edit: important to them, I mean - don't think anyone else really gives a fuck.

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
A Corbynite Labour/BXP coalition? Christ, can you even imagine?

Never gonna happen though. It's important for Corbyn, McCluskey et al to maintain the illusion that there is "good" economic nationalism (their kind) and "bad" economic nationalism (the Tory Leaver/UKIP/BXP kind).

Edit: important to them, I mean - don't think anyone else really gives a fuck.

I was not suggesting a coalition between Labour and BXP necessarily.

The BXP is itself a coalition right now, to some extent. Once the election is over, the die may to an extent be cast and who knows whether they will be held together by Farage.

I doubt Corbyn will be as precious as you think if it means he gets No. 10. Bookies have best price 5/1 on an overall majority for Labour at the next GE; most likely he is going to have to form a coalition. And if it's a choice between the Brexit Party and the Liberal Democrats (possibly merged with CHUK), well....you might be surprised who he chooses to get in to bed with. No I don't think he will deal with Farage, but other Brexit Party MPs might be a different story.

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...alf-its-mps-heidi-allen-chuka-umunna-lib-dems

So it looks like Chuka Umunna will just defect to the Lib Dems. I'm pretty sure he's fucked if he tries to run in Streatham again, but he might be able to find a seat he can win for the LibDems.

Of course I had forgotten the SNP - he can probably get the SNP on board in exchange for another referendum. But how much chaos do we need? And well, we can hardly pretend there wouldn't be a border if Scotland went back into the EU now, can we?

A really interesting question is if SNP would deal with BXP if it got them what they wanted. Probably.

The permutations are almost exhilarating.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
he said how embarrassed he was about his part in it and that he's since learned to make birds squirt since and it's all water under the bridge
haha not exactly my recollection

I'm basically a mirror version of what comelately said, i.e. would stand by all what I said etc (and also lol just a bit @ my dude still throwing semi-veiled shade like 6 years later)

more like, hard to believe I ever gave enough of a shit to argue the point w some dude on the internet

was telling luke how hilarious it is thinking back how we all really did not understand the internet then, tho tbf no one did really

the time wasted in senseless, ephemeral flame wars

all seems quite quaint now too given what a fucking cesspool large chunks of online life have devolved into

anyway, it is definitely water under the bridge

let not the silver age of dissensus be marred by the disputes of yesteryear

comelately

Wild Horses
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lans-john-lewis-style-rescue-of-british-steel

So the first BXP policy that isn't just 'We want a Brexit'.

Obviously they're trying to at least to appear to straddle left and right a bit - though I suspect more tokenistic with the former (do lefty things with one company, reduce business rates/taxes for all). I think they'll struggle to win Labour seats at the next GE (clearly they will win Peterborough on Thursday), but I think their long-term strategy is to force electoral reform anyway.