The Harlequin

other_life

bioconfused
i sold u as an Ayatollah to these people i kind of want u to go deeper on this. i feel like we talk ab stuff orbiting this a lot
points i'd be interested in your response to/elaboration on:
young thug & White Internet Fags claiming him for ourselves; subtly pivoted to masculinity; functional psych-trap post-jeffery
difference between early cloud rap and the harlequin phenomenon
white kids having to have their rap be Special in some way
distrusting gays in a regular way + sgp's entire Bit
off-brand young thugs

other_life

bioconfused
hey don't go silent on me. play the game.
also i can vouch for carol. fast track her posting privileges please and thank you. this "post must be approved by a moderator" shit is...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I can't be arsed listening to Young Thug anymore. some white person iceboy whatsit from manchester was like to me thug is better than afx, and i was like that's A) kind of apples and oranges, they are operating in totally aesthetic realms B) when i said post-jeffery Thug is basically shit they were like 'but all the things he's done, slime language, slime season three, low key queer black icon' as if i need a fuckin student to tell me that. there's nothing i hate more than white people thinking hip hop is nothing but i got five on it. i mean i'm sure they are really nice and all but like certainly in the brown community you could go two ways: hip hop or rock. most people profiled in the quietus obviously went the rock direction. many asians do. but more went hip hop. and it all feels a bit odd now to have those white rockers claiming inclusivity. we kind of wanted to escape you filthy bacon eating products of civilisation!

Also I'm fucking sick of accelerationism. it's literally siding with the bourgeoisie. nothing else. you don't need some wanky art term to express that.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
as for the chipmunk thing the thing with 92 is you had the manic stabs, the dippy basslines, scratches sampled from old electro records and the like. this androgeny is a packaged one, one that is taken away from you and then sold back to you as we were sort of discussing yesterday with ecstasy. the difference being that 92 was a big accident. even the hardcore djs started to dislike it. that's precisely why it was good! a frankenstein's monster out of their control. there were no doyuns.

And yet if hc hadn't gone dark and later musical this would have been packaged as a ritual. as eventually happened with happy hardcore turning into pop at 170 bpm.

This is what i mean by transcending the rockist vs poptimist divide. bliss is about authenticity and the jazz/rock band combo as the ideal, even in genres like grime or with jungle staying faithful to its truist self.

Barty is popcult, the fetishisation of anything that can be used to fit a superficial internet construction, but really creating artificial identities existed prior to the internet, it was and still is called code switching. it's just now that its invading the spaces of more traditionally heteronormative people hence they are starting to notice it.

I'm saying let's zone in to the breaking points of both of these approaches. Barty doesn't like disintegrative chaos in the music he is repping here (with the exception of drill.) that's great but i spent most of my late teenage years acquainting myself with critical theory so it isn't even i like this/i don't like this. i hear something pop he posts, and I'm like uh... is that it?

Bliss is too enamoured with future shock. that's why, when this fetish expires and the music is revealed for ultimately what it always was (a safety valve) he becomes quite melancholic.

I don't have this problem because I don't foreground strictly gut reaction values but mathematics, sound, construction and pitch.

it's like when people used to tell me aaliyah could really sing and i was like you idiots, she's precisely good because she was the embodiment of plastic singing. a virtuoso aaliyah would be the most terrible thing. an aaliyah on a level with Aretha or Jocelyn Brown would just totally face plant.

this is the thing, to go posthuman you can't find emotion in the internet. you have to murder it.

Last edited:

luka

drill is firmly antagonistic to all this.

in drill even having vaginal sex is gay.

"And she was trying to off her skirt
Clearly she lost her mind
I want Noddy
Said it like a 100 times"

Genius Annotation 2 contributors
Elliot01 2,456
94%
Madbrad200 82,601
6%
Created by Elliot01 2 months ago
Accepted by Madbrad200
"This is a common trope used in UK Drill music, particularly in AM’s songs, where the girls want to have full on sex with the artist but the artist is only wants head, or “noddy.”

Examples of where this is used elsewhere in UK Drill music is AM and Skengdo’s “Kick Down Doors” in which AM tells someone:

uck me, you ain’t pussy worthy

CGM’s track “Next Up” also contains the line:

This grey ting’s way too fast
Bitch pull up your drawers
I only want head"

sadmanbarty

wonder how this intertwines with the ruff alien militant nature of a lot of soundclashes and mcs that came out of them ...
not entirely possessed but very aggressive and uranian. subwoofer blowing riddles. think what muslimgauze was inspired by
same ruff noise out of grime. less peaceful than jinn

Important point that there is a long lineage of Pentecostal possession- from Coltrane to terry g

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i don't wanna laugh but growing up in a muslim family i always thought jinn sounded like:

Corpsey, get ready to cum all over cyprus...

Dubstep!

luka

Charles Uptons belief is that Mckennas machine elves are the jinn. He has quite a strict interpretation of what is true inspiration (godly) and what is glamours, bewitchment, possession, the activation of the archetypes, unconscious forces, and thus dangerous and dangerously compelling.

luka

I'm not inclined to be as pious as that, but I think the distinctions work, and I think what we are are drawing attention to here is the operation of the unconscious, and the unworldly quality it lends those artists who submit to it, become vessels for it (I'm a martian/goblin etc)

I don't know if any of you have clocked secret Suns obsession with Liz Fraser from the Cocteau Twins but that is working in much the same region. Glossolalia, strangely luminous eyes, etc etc

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well they are chponic I'd rather stick with the classic middle eastern definition than some cracked out 60s casualty.

luka

well they are chponic I'd rather stick with the classic middle eastern definition than some cracked out 60s casualty.

What does chponic mean? What is the classic middle eastern definition? How does it help us here in the work we are doing?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag. god, it's fucking annoying as i've been hit with a wave of feeling like shit this weekend.

nag nag nag nag nag nag. irritable child. whatever, figure it out by yourselves.

Later.