The Harlequin

luka

The film shows the Mafia style as it recurs in modern American politics—a kind of metaphysical spirit that inhabits different characters at different times, always identifiable by the dead eyes.

Same concept, different spirit.

luka

Letter to Wyndham Lewis (August 12, 1956, p. 249): Hollywood Superhumanism (Transhumanism) and Satanic Reform Program

Marshall McLuhan praises Lewis’s novel The Human Age, picking up on:

. . . the relation of Third City to Third Program and the infernal relations of Hollywood superhumanism to the Satanic reform program . . .

linebaugh

On another forum I'm on a member used the platform to transition. They changed their identifying pronouns from he/him to she/her, made a woman their avi and even adopted a more feminine way of speaking. I think this person is genuinely interested in transitioning outside the internet but from what I can tell hasnt taken any steps to do so yet. The internet has allowed them a practice space

luka

corsepy was telling me that on dubstep forum everyone assumed he was a jamacian roadman and having eventually to dispell this misconception was the saddest thing hes ever had to do

luka

before that we all had cool names like k-punk and no one knew what we looked like

luka

Tearout injected the scene with a sort of liveliness that wasn’t inherent to the vibe of classic Dubstep, and those who would attend Dubstep shows began to reflect that. ‘Mowgli’ states on a Dubstepforum post from 2008 that ‘god damn [these] people starting to annoy me – seems they are producing their shitty bad stuff just for hyping up the kids’ in reference to Rusko and Caspa, the pioneers of Tearout. The replies are a mixed bag of those agreeing with the sentiment, and those chalking this up to mere snobbery. The content of this thread is highly representative of what was happening in the scene at the time, with ‘corpsey’ aptly summing up the thread, as well as the state of Dubstep as a whole, with their comment ‘Insofar as creating a big fucking split in da sceeeeeene’.

linebaugh

Another view on this thread is that transformation itself is codified, no longer an instance of true possession, or since the time of this threads posting theres been a regime change. Was hinted at with young thug becoming standard psyche trap but identities are solidifying. There's something subterranean and unacknowledged about the djinn, possession, but since 2019 shapeshifting itself is an identity. Amorphism flaunted and sold as The Point. Though the artists Im thinking of (Brockhampton, 100 gecs, jpegmafia, the mainstreaming of hyperpop) are for a predominately white middle class crowd so this kind of retentive control of possession a few years after the fact is the expected dialectical turn. But even in the strictly hip hop sphere there's either a return to solidified masculinity (detroit and Memphis revival, american acceptance of drill) or the same self consciousness flaunting with things like this

other_life

bioconfused
^ very solid post but will quibble that 'hyperpop has been mainstreamed' when Hyperpop-as-genre is astroturfed.

luka

its a good post cos baby voice to that is logical but its not a move that can take the audience with it