"Next Big Things" That Died (Since the Smartphone)

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Give me an example of a type of gene therapy or genetic modification that's "mainstream" or even popularly known and I'll shut up about it.

Last edited:

sus

the Galaxy Fold is the result of some coffee/adderall fueled recent CompSci graduate blurting out, "Hey, what if we mashed a smartphone with a tablet? That's something new, right? At least people will think it seems new, and like, gaze upon it in awe. Let's price it at $2000":

This kind of reaction (which is common! no shade being thrown) is always odd to me. Samsung's pricing it there because it's a first stab—they're targeting early adopters, it's not really meant for general consumers yet. For people who game or watch a lot of video, having the ability to "unfold" a larger screen from a small device seems like a pretty understandable desire, even if I don't game or watch video.

I guess this seems like a classic case of, "If you think it's stupid, you're not the target audience." Luckily, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything? Maybe it's not meant so seriously—"well, it's overhyped, my friend X this it's great and I think it's shite" which, fair enough, but more often it feels like this kind of things ossify/ossify into a worldview

sus

Give me an example of a type of gene therapy or genetic modification that's "mainstream" or even popularly known and I'll shut up about it.

You realize there are babies being born in China right now who have been genetically engineered, right?

Totally understand the jadedness w/r/t "well this time it's for real," especially coming out of the failed promises of 90s biotech but being on the periphery of synthetic biology right now, "this time it's for real." Shit got crazy in the 2010s, see https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19092-2

woops

is not like other people
You realize there are babies being born in China right now who have been genetically engineered, right?

Totally understand the jadedness w/r/t "well this time it's for real," especially coming out of the failed promises of 90s biotech but being on the periphery of synthetic biology right now, "this time it's for real." Shit got crazy in the 2010s, see https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19092-2
don't worry about agent nucleus, he's been cancelled ages ago

woops

is not like other people
OREO COOKIE GOT THE RYTHM LOL
@wizkhalifa

Awe shizzle! You be rollin down the street eatin cookies sippin on milk and Quick. Laidback, with ya hand on the cookie and the cookie in the milk. Much luv, Pimp Sippin

cookie on my phone cookie on the track cookie on the hack is that breach see yall cheat just like mac ill let fly cause she was a dime. but i see why now you spend all your life in highschool wiz khalifa surpass the reaction he caused marijuana motherfucker oreo is 7up hit me up