thirdform

pass the sick bucket
2) Knights of the Turntables - techno scratch.

My favourite electro is always that which seems to herald the formation of 20 different universes all playing 20 different cosmic rhythms in syncronicity.

A lesson in using the absolute least to create a virtual space symphony for the late 20th century. old blissed cosmic visions were no more. Of course some journalists spoke about the nuum going minimal after post-dubstep, it's not my fault that they grew up on R.E.M is it now?

naturally, this was a favourite of 2nd wave detroit djs (jeff mills) but the first wave were probably not fans, given their europhilia. But this pisses all over nearly all Italo I've heard. oh, there will be no Visage in this list, either.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
3) Loose Ens - Hanging On a String

not much that can be said that hasn't already. All I'll say is reggae got soul, bassline got soul. Given the chance, we can hold our own, and we did. immortal rnb.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
4) Elektrik Funk - On a Journey (instrumental)

the vocal version is shit imo. speaking of basslines though, and check it at the 3 m mark. jellatinous goowey murcurial synthesisers eating or is it caressing your ears. made by some top dons in new york disco (who i cba looking up rn) it ramadan, i am hungry and i need to sleep.

1982 bitch, now date me.

Despite its 4-to-the-floor drum machine rhythm it also seems to shimmy in such a bouncy fashion. lysergic. liquid.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
5) 6) Twat Sisters Featuring House Master Baldwin* / Muff Man Featuring House Master Baldwin* – Eat My Pussy / Sit On The Face

usually the contention is that America got white european post-disco music wrong. i disagree if only for the reason that the a-side of this 88 acid classic is so infested with all kinds of jittery rhythmic tics it literally feels like bugs under your skin in a disused industrial facility. funky EBM? no let up, just piles on the syncopation with some twisted sing-songy acid.

As for the b-side, hyper sexualised Reichian phasing worthy of concrete pioneers with baldwin giving the 303 a real dirty tweaking. not sinewiness so much as scraping. razor acid. dialectical chastity, perhaps.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
7) Ice T - Ya Don't Quit.

The gangstas down with the party. all he requests is a bullet proof battle riddim.

Just don't call it rock.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
8) Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Bad To the Bone.

Intergallactic sleaze. if only revivalist nerd rap would fetishise most developments before 93 I'd totally be a renegade warrior. this ain't no weed stupor.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
9) 2 Kilos - Mohamed's mind.

the first of the many hardcore tracks in this list. fourth world rave. clattering rhythms (what is that 2nd break, anyway?) haunting strings, acid, distressed sample like the sampler has set to jam on loop. there is quite literally nothing like this and i doubt there will ever be. even gets quite jungly towards the end.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
10) Orchestre Super Jheevs Des Paillotes - Ye Nan Lon An

Honestly, this whole compilation is the business. I usually find a lot of these 70s psych/funk comps to be hit and miss. but this comp has 15 tracks and they are all killer. all of them. hardest funk bar none from Benin and Togo.
the comp is called: African Scream Contest: Raw & Psychedelic Afro Sounds from Benin & Togo

Gives James Brown a serious run for his money. nightmarish tensing of tendins in the head. let's go.