Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Version once posted something very honest about paranoia but deleted it right away. I was about to engage with him about it but then felt like maybe he was right
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I can remember teenage times, so stoned my own voice would be foregrounded in a very uncomfortable way and all the naturalism sucked out of it so that it seemed both unbearably artificial and intimately revealing. The stark vulnerability of your voice out there in space, daring to be heard. Very very difficult. Perhaps this is a kind of depersonalisation effect. I would have analogous experiences with regard to my clothes and to my physical bearing. How I was standing or sitting or walking.

I would hate the way my trousers bunched and folded and sagged or the way a jumper would hang off me. The materials seemed so cheap and ugly. I always seemed to be so much more badly dressed than everyone else.
    Well described
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Version once posted something very honest about paranoia but deleted it right away. I was about to engage with him about it but then felt like maybe he was right
    I can't tell whether this is genuine or a very good trick to make me paranoid.

Well described
    Thanks. I think what saved me from going completely mad was what with it being a drug effect you can sort of treat it like entertainment to some degree. It gives you that little buffer zone, that little bit of distance.

Over self awareness can be so crippling

E one thing I used to wish for was to be able to speak while stoned but as soon as I was able to do it weed lost its magic. If you're not trapped inside the glass tower you're not really stoned. If you can project your ego it's not working. So that was the end of that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Over self awareness can be so crippling
    It's what makes bad acting so bad. It's what stops your story down the pub from flowing. It's a battle within.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

What do we think of Jung's thing of neurosis being a substitute for "legitimate" suffering?

I don't know anything about it I've never heard of it you'll have to explain.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It's a famous quote of his. I don't know what it actually means but I've taken it as essentially meaning something along the lines of "the devil finds work for idle hands" in the sense that the unoccupied mind will start to construct things to occupy itself, sometimes negative things like paranoid structures.

I saw that post you deleted, patty, and remember what you were on about now. It was more about anxiety than paranoia, but they can definitely feed into one another. It's that thing both you and Luke have mentioned about extreme self awareness and how debilitating it can be.

I've found that at it's worst it's an almost unbearable awareness of my own body, all the background processes that are normally unconscious become conscious and I'm intensely aware of breathing, that my hands are attached to my arms, how my tongue sits in my mouth, how my clothes feel against my skin and so on. It's completely overwhelming, far too much information to take in and continue to function properly.

There are those people who feel their arm or whatever isn't theirs and that they have to have it amputated. I imagine that's kind of how it feels for them, like you're wearing a prosthetic or a glove despite it being your actual arm.

I think ducking the news is a good way to dampen any anxiety or paranoia one might have. I've often read an article about some freak occurrence where someone was kidnapped or developed some incredibly rare condition which has then burrowed its way into my psyche and nagged at me for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Is this McLuhan?

It's Suicide Bridge by Iain Sinclair. A book largely concerned with paranoia. Still can't believe the very paranoid people on this forum have no paranoia stories to tell.