version

c65738b6f8b088488b69c84bbc10d084.jpg

william_kent

lockdown sort of fucked up my training though, so now i would just run away

edit: I'm out of shape, I'm out of practice

version

Perhaps the most audacious Long Sixties deployment of the term, though, belongs to Charlie Manson. Talking to Rolling Stone in 1970 about how coyotes move through the desert, Manson explains that “he hears every sound, smells every smell, sees everything that moves. He’s in a state of total paranoia, and total paranoia is total awareness.”

This reminds me of one of the Vietnam vets in First Kill talking about not having to learn how to survive in the jungle because it's already in there and comes flooding back.

21:06 - 21:58

william_kent

This reminds me of one of the Vietnam vets in First Kill talking about not having to learn how to survive in the jungle because it's already in there and comes flooding back.

21:06 - 21:58

this is just a vague drunken thought... but were 'NAM VETERANS the last romanticism of PTSD?

I've trained with, and worked with, Falklands veterans, troubles veterans, etc.,

and there is no romance, no Hollywood style Rambo blockbusters, only tears and heartbreak and regret once you pierce their shell, only grim nightmares

except, one of my workmates had a mate who served time in Afghanistan and got involved in a firefight and texted him "it was boss", so maybe I've just met the more sensitive survivors?

edit: I am dramatising a bit, because more than one ex squaddie I have met joined up because they wanted to know what it was like to kill, and they loved it