Too Old to Die Young

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone watching this? I watched the first episode and I'm into it, started the second but it's all in Spanish and I can't find a link with subtitles (there was one such scene in the first episode but I thought I could press on without knowing what that was about beyond the vaguest idea).
So is anyone watching it?
And (more importantly) does anyone know where I can watch it with subtitles?

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
it's on fmovies.to, with subtitles i just checked. make sure you have adblock and stuff like that.

version

I plan to, but I might wait for a few more episodes to air and some subtitled links to make their way online.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one - I will try there... also would be up for hearing people's opinions when they've watched a few bits.

CrowleyHead

Halfway through the last episode currently; have been more or less chipping away at it for the past week now.

The whole irregular length method, with some episodes sprawling to close to movie length and others a mere thirty minutes with no recognizable order or pattern is interesting just in how Refn picks when he's going to brood or overextend scenes as long as he does.

Some of the technology aspects miss their mark, but "Cartel TV" is going to leave me braying for a week and the selfie in the intro episode is all too perfect.

Miles Teller as an actor is someone who I've never cared for but he certainly works his ass off in this show playing basically a slap in the face to people who think the Dale Cooper character is fundamentally good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I haven't yet unfortunately so only seen one episode which I enjoyed. Been super busy but hopefully I can watch the rest this week. Maybe.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Finally found some version with subs and watched the second episode... I'm enjoying it while my girlfriend sits there going "For fuck's sake - nobody sits there in silence that long" etc Honestly though, as well as the glacial pace and the colours etc there is something there, it definitely didn't go in the direction we all expected and I like that about a show. I read one review which called it Tarkovsky's Narcos which is maybe a bit optimistic but let's see where it goes and if it can reach near that level.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Honestly I don't see much of a link to Tarkovsky - they're saying that cos it's slow and that makes it an easy (lazy) comparison, but what else is similar?

IdleRich

IdleRich
This has taken a turn for the darker now. I'm really enjoying it but I'm not sure why. It's most notable feature is long silences, slow pacing... scenes where the camera stays on the main guy's face for several minutes while off camera two others speak from behind a screen in muffled and untranslated Korean. There is a plot of sorts which is interesting enough but which they could zip through in a couple of episodes if they took out the silences where nothing happens and the pauses between words when they are speaking.
Looks amazing, sounds great... vicious violence and moments of absurdity (the office singalong) that recall Lynch. I like it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Weird car chase scene with the pursuers arguing silently, flipping the radio between Bubble Sex and Mandy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
SPOILERS So now almost everyone is dead including the main guy. They did lighten up the mood a bit by having Let's Fist Again (or is it Fist And Shout, I forget?) by The Leather Nun on the soundtrack.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, finished it anyway... the last episode was only half an hour and left so much unresolved. My girlfriend nearly smashed the laptop in a kind of culmination of the frustration that had been growing since about four minutes into the first episode.
Really no-one else wants to talk about this?

version

I haven't even started it yet, and I've been two episodes into The Young Pope for over a month and still want to watch Chernobyl.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well get on to this one... what could be better than something when you know there are only thirty minutes to resolve everything and the director chooses to spend fifteen of them watching someone masturbating?

IdleRich

IdleRich
To me it seems like the title is reference to that film about a fat Danish bloke living in Bangkok. Or do they both reference the same thing I dunno..