version

what weneed is a year 0. a back to basics and a dialing up of intensities. the social climate doesn't exist for that. looking for innovation is the wrong metric. there is a lot of technically innovative electronic music today. everywhere and all the time.
Agreed, even though that skirts dangerously close to many regrettable points in human history. The idea of reset inspired many a tyrant.
It's now clear that you two engineered COVID and 'The Great Reset' in order to save music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I could be wrong here but I think many authors don't hit their stride (or their full pomp) until they're in their 30s.

Bald heads forgetful of their sins,
Old, learned, respectable bald heads
Edit and annotate the lines
That young men, tossing on their beds,
Rhymed out in love’s despair
To flatter beauty’s ignorant ear.
UGH

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Version mate stop necroing threads. Cheers. That was a different time of dissensus, we all engaged in exagerrated provocation to stimulate debate, which whilst funny at the time ultimately ended up getting out of control. I think we are a more deliberated place now, I certainly take more time to think about what I put down before hitting the post button, even if I'm being confrontational.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I was actually going to start a thread called 'beyond innovation' however I'm waiting for barty to come back from his hiatus as he's more clued into contemporary music trends than i am.

Basically what i was going to argue that tracks, albums and mixes can have both revolutionary and conservative aspects simultaneously. I was also going to argue that we should drop the term reactionary and use conservative, because reactionary is ultimately a political term that refers to someone who wants the restoration of the catholic monarchy and feudalism, ultimately. I don't think you can lump a 70s roots reggae purist in there, no matter how hard you try. You could probably lump in some kind of trad classical bod or the types that want to make jazz on a level with mozart (or accord white approval to it in that way.) But otherwise I think conservative is a better term.

For instance I've always argued that techstep was rhythmically far less innovative than 94, but there was initialy innovation tere, in the disembodied murky atmospheres and the basslines. even into 98/99 there were still some interesting things being done in the bass sections. I think this is a better way to holistically conceptualise music. I can thus look at some new jungle and be like, ok is this doing an interesting thing with combination and recombination of old elements?

I mean T.I 's trap music came out in 2003 right. you can't seriously tell me trap is *new* can you?

Best post from me in this thread. You have to work through the coal of these debates in hindsight to get the good bits. everything else i said on this thread sounds like shit in retrospect.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
only at 130 bpm. speed an mj cole track up to 170 and it's basically jazual/housey post-97 dnb.

2step didn't reintroduce jungle's rhythmic ideas back in a garage context, it reintroduced its dynamics. but also those vibey dynamics also equally owed to house.

Another good post.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
1) yes and no. initially the techstep stuff was good not b/c of the breaks but b/c it was something far more alien anti human anti-funk. even the obsessively tweaked neurofunk basslines have a lot of appeal to me in this context. the problem is everything got too fast. had they stayed around 155-162 there would have been potential. i mean a lot of the so-called 'industrial dancehall' is basically a rip on techstep like manslaughter rider 96 really, i can understand for pr purposes why it's promoted that way but that's essentially the truth of the thing. it's basically halftime, then you have people on samurai doing that now in 2019 though a lot of the time it can sound like a dubstep take on dancehall rather than a half time take on tech/neuro, if I'm making any sense.

I mean you can't deny tunes like this, you can still do cool things with drum machine beats...

2) the impotency of four-to-the-floor. by that logic drone is the most impotent music. it's never accorded that status though as we've been conditioned to think of it as celestial, xen or avant-garde. but if we try to think outside of those associations, what do we get?

More pseudo-musicological rabble.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Wait was he the one who came over one of craners juice box records? an ex-dissensoid even! the mystery continues.

For the record Dominic when i say i think your stuff is a bit boring it usually means i haven't listened to nearly enough and have no real opinion. there are only really two absolutist modes in post-thirdformatic stress disorder. virulent evangelism and sheer hatred. everything else is just bit boring even if it's life changing. i have to pretend I know about music more than I actually do.

This is how every good music critic should be. Enough knowledge to know what you're talkin about and not chat breeze, but not so much so that you become a bore. That sweet balancing act.

wektor

Version mate stop necroing threads. Cheers. That was a different time of dissensus, we all engaged in exagerrated provocation to stimulate debate, which whilst funny at the time ultimately ended up getting out of control. I think we are a more deliberated place now, I certainly take more time to think about what I put down before hitting the post button, even if I'm being confrontational.
I am completely against it, necroing threads is the only way one can learn the dissensus lore nowadays

version

I am completely against it, necroing threads is the only way one can learn the dissensus lore nowadays

wektor

that was quite insightful but I'm certain there is more to know, also I am much more interested in the minor history of this forum

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nah tbf im just annoyed about the deliberately exagerrated positions I took against house, which served their purpose amply at the time but look a bit extra out of context. Whilst there's quite a bit of truth in what I said about say: south london 90s tech house, I did exagerrate for highly polemical effect. There's some good stuff in that genre, EG Circulation, Swag etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Those battles might have been useful at the time but I mean the hardcore continuum as originally theorised hasn't been relevant for 15 years now, which is why I want to reorient to a hardcore eclecticism outlook.