Greece

craner

Beast of Burden
I fancy a holiday to Greece next year. Check out the islands, the history, enjoy the weather, the lovely music and fantastic people.

Any recommendations?

luka

Lol im going in October also inspired by corpse. Also need these questions answered

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
parthmarbles05.jpg

You want em?

Come and get em

I spend a lot of time in Greece, a few weeks every year for the last 12 years.

Favourite island is Alonissos, one of the Sporades along with Skiathos & Skopelos, all joined up by ferries. Love them all.
Thassos is also very good, that was a new one last year. I drove to the summit of the island in a manky jeep, it was highly risky, edging around boulders on single track mountain roads.

The Mani on the mainland is great, very spaghetti western. Banditry, tower houses, goats and eagles. Patrick Leigh Fermor spent his later days there, in Kardamyli.

I used to have a low opinion of Greek food but its simplicity really grows on you. Same with the wine.

luka

Yeah everyone I know who spends a lot of time in Greece says the food and drink is manky but if there's chips and beer I'll be happy

craner

Beast of Burden
Well you all read my Turkey Kusadasi review, right? Sounds like Greece for the Essex and Swansea lads.

luka

Good to hear from you again Kevin Oak. I've booked my trip to Greece in September. I can't wait.

sadmanbarty

Go to Naxos (I think where Orpheus died or something). Stay at a place called maragas. There’s a great nudist beach down the road with a gorgeous rock pool. Watch the sun set behind the island of Paros. Venture up the hills to explore Greek pastoral life. There’s a big, ancient window in the town centre.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Make sure to take noise cancelling headphones, to block out that noxious mandolin music - and a peg for your nose, for obvious reasons.

luka

Craner have you Made any decisions? What do other people think about Naxos? I don't drive. Does that matter?