I wouldn't say it was the best thing that happened over the weekend but, when the Red Arrows flew over the site in formation, trailing a burst of red, white & blue, that was good. A military seal of approval on the proceedings, it's what Glastonbury's all about.

Or was there a subtext? "This could easily have been napalm or cluster bombs. Watch it, hippies. We see you."

Still working on a full report, btw

Last edited:

Woebot

I went big, arrived home a couple of hours ago.
In many ways, best one I've been too in the 20 years or so I've been going.
Confusing too, I was pretty sure Tara Palmer-Tomkinson was trying to entice me back to her winnebago at one point, but someone helped me out by reminding she's been dead a couple of years.

that's our cousin. bless her. true fact.

Woebot

FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY BOOK OUT IN OCTOBER
Our official book celebrating next year's 50th anniversary of the Festival will be released on October 31st, 2019. Glastonbury 50 sees Michael and Emily Eavis reveal the stories behind the event in their own words, alongside hundreds of incredible photos taken since the Festival's birth in 1970.

Michael and Emily are joined by a host of big-name contributors - among them Adele, JAY-Z, Dolly Parton, Banksy, Chris Martin, Julie Christie, Noel Gallagher, Jarvis Cocker, Suzanne Vega, Lars Ulrich and Guy Garvey. Pre-order the book from Waterstones by clicking here.

A very enticing proposition.

shakahislop

going to it this year. has been interesting to watch it change from my first time in 2004 to now, have been an on and off attender, depending essentially just on if i had mates who were going and if i had the cash.

the line-ups are slowly coming out, they put it out in dribs and drabs, like stage by stage with a week in between, which is an interesting new phenomenon. there's then a load of chat in my crew's whatsapp group. its quite a good way to do it.

i've heard people take the festival for task for what it is, who attends, vs what it purports to be. on the music front, there's a pretty common refrain that there's a load of dreck on the TV coverage, but when you go there's a billion stages and all the good stuff is on there.

no-one ever seems to agree with me but i always find it kind of amazing that despite having 'approximately bare' artists playing, i mean it's what, it must be a few hundred at least, it's surprisingly narrow musically speaking. and slightly parochial. ok its not a big surprise, but there is such a UK focus i find.

the bigger stages this year are so occupied with the most boring indie stuff that you can imagine. about half of dance stages they just announced, below, and with some notable exceptions (LTJ Bunkem) obviously i've never heard of any of it. on investigation there is an absolute tonne of cheesy d&b, which i like, some uk hiphop which for me is pretty much universally bad, and some house, a bit of techno. obviously i've haven't investigated all of it but it's always striking to me how given how they could probably get more or less anyone to play there if they wanted to, how essentially boring it all is, how little interest there is in anything that new. fundamentally quite a conservative booking policy i think, which is a shame given that i) i'm going and i want to hear things i like and ii) people are going to go whatever you put on on the smaller stages, surely you could branch out a bit.

1650845161901.png

shakahislop

they claim that there are over 3,000 'acts' on over the weekend, and apart from d&b there's not a lot that i want to see. not that surprising when you consider who books the stages and who goes to the festival. any recs? before you check, autechre aren't playing

forclosure

they claim that there are over 3,000 'acts' on over the weekend, and apart from d&b there's not a lot that i want to see. not that surprising when you consider who books the stages and who goes to the festival. any recs? before you check, autechre aren't playing

not that i've ever been and doubt that i ever will but of the names i've seen on here: i'd say: Pa Salieu,Kendrick(i mean you of all people might aswell),burna boy,nubya garcia, TLC ,Sugababes(partially because i feel like you'd enjoy them but also the thought of you squirming as a grown man seeing them makes me laugh)

shakahislop

radio 6 music festival. most depressing thing ive ever seen that line-up.
yeah i'm with you on that. i go coz my mates go and it's a load of people i never get to see for any length of time normally. but i'm already mentally preparing to try to not slag the music off. i don't get how you can book that many things and somehow avoid anything interesting. well i do know. its coz they know their audience. but i wish they would branch out a bit.

shakahislop

not that i've ever been and doubt that i ever will but of the names i've seen on here: i'd say: Pa Salieu,Kendrick(i mean you of all people might aswell),burna boy,nubya garcia, TLC ,Sugababes(partially because i feel like you'd enjoy them but also the thought of you squirming as a grown man seeing them makes me laugh)
thanks man. not sure on kendrick, always a bit annoying seeing people when you like the old stuff but not the new stuff, which is the case for kendrick for me, not been into anything since Pimp A Butterfly. pa salieu i should check out. not sure about the sugababes

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
glastonbury has always been radio 6 music festival, noone goes to see acts there, you can't hold 3000 acts in your head let alone have enough limbs to get to the stages on time. tiresome.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But yeah I'd go see Tim Reaper, Dward+mantra, Blawan b2b LCY, DJ Flight, and a load of others which i cba opening up the page for. But the point is moote, anyway given I'm not going.