Thrive in '95 - Jungle's zenith

luka

Like that one that goes Rotterdam Rotterdam Rotterdam is hilarious. I love it. It's life-affirming. It's a million miles from the po-face metalheadz aesthetic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot, the vast majority, of the music in your rehabilitate the zfi thread is cartoonish, which I like a great deal. It's got a sense of fun. It's deliberately ridiculous and as much is diametrically opposed to the Enemies of Joy.

hmm interesting. i still think metropolis is a great tune though, as is ed rush the raven and many others from that era. i do like things stripped down and dubby quite a bit though, which is why my taste never accords with the dubstep types or the always cartoon gabba all day and every day crowd. i tend to exist in a strange liminal zone. Well, anatolians are always liminal anyway.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Like that one that goes Rotterdam Rotterdam Rotterdam is hilarious. I love it. It's life-affirming. It's a million miles from the po-face metalheadz aesthetic.

hmm yeah i know what you mean. but I'd say that arid stuff works in a mix in the same way that matt jam lamont house doesn't really work on its own. the problem is that sort of barren flavour became the main flavour not one aspect of the panoply. this is why dj mixes are such a great format but very, very easy to abuse.

luka

In the right mood I could get into it ('artcore' metalheadz etc) but you have to understand it is my role to react this way. Droid has dedicated an entire thread to trolling me and it would be very rude of me not to play along. It would spoil his fun and everyone else's

luka

These are old routines I'm being asked to revive. Part of my greatest hits collection.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In the right mood I could get into it ('artcore' metalheadz etc) but you have to understand it is my role to react this way. Droid has dedicated an entire thread to trolling me and it would be very rude of me not to play along. It would spoil his fun and everyone else's

nah nah i think this sort of roleplay is good, it opens up avenues for discussion. although i just find if you wanna add salt to the wound you can be like it all died end of 93.

luka

hmm yeah i know what you mean. but I'd say that arid stuff works in a mix in the same way that matt jam lamont house doesn't really work on its own. the problem is that sort of barren flavour became the main flavour not one aspect of the panoply. this is why dj mixes are such a great format but very, very easy to abuse.

Noise is a wonderful palette cleanser. That's how I use it. Quick blast. Invigorating.

luka

A lot of my friends felt it was dead in '94. It was a mainstream position. That the ragga thing was overblown and rote. And 'amen tearouts' were ugly banal stupid.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot of my friends felt it was dead in '94. It was a mainstream position. That the ragga thing was overblown and rote.

mainstream position across all the country not just london, indeed. noone liked it. it was inevitable for the arty types to take hold of it when the rave scene disowned it, it wasn't just prog house and prog trance.

droid

Dead in 94 is the most insane ahistorical nonsense Ive ever heard. Sales, attendance, mainstream success, quality, inventiveness - all point to the exact opposite conclusion. Things had barely begun in '93.

Alsp disagree with the arty vs ragga vs hardcore paradigm. Artcore was just a brand exercise for deep jungle, which was most jungle that wasnt ragga, and deep jungle grew directly out of the fundamentals - the hardcore approach to sampling.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Dead in 94 is the most insane ahistorical nonsense Ive ever heard. Sales, attendance, mainstream success, quality, inventiveness - all point to the exact opposite conclusion. Things had barely begun in '93.

Alsp disagree with the arty vs ragga vs hardcore paradigm. Artcore was just a brand exercise for deep jungle, which was most jungle that wasnt ragga, and deep jungle grew directly out of the fundamentals - the hardcore approach to sampling.

I agree its ahistorical nonsense but that doesn't mean that most of the countries ravers at the time didn't believe it.

also 93 was more inventive than 94 though. you can't say it had barely begun. all those weird pitch shifted breaks, reversed samples, ghost fx etc etc.

jungle is 92-96, then it's mostly drum and bass.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the arty thing came later yes, 97, when people like jon b started breaking through. but it was always bubbling under with some of the high-falutin rhetoric from years before. i should have clarified that in my original comment. can you ever imagine arty happy hardcore? of course not because it was the dominant post-breakbeat sound in the UK.

luka

It is the opposite of ahistorical in as much as these were people I was friends with making judgements at the time. For a lot of people '94 is when they got off the bus.

droid

Voodoo Magic, One Nation, Helter Skelter, Telepathy, Hysteria, World Dance... hundreds of thousands of ravers dancing to jungle in 94. The absolute peak of its popularity.

luka

Yes droid but I am talking about my crowd ie the vanguard not the mainstream. The people who are always seven steps ahead. The people who had switched to garage by '96

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Voodoo Magic, One Nation, Helter Skelter, Telepathy, Hysteria, World Dance... hundreds of thousands of ravers dancing to jungle in 94. The absolute peak of its popularity.

yeah but dj dougal and dj vibes and those guys would be playing in the same room. and you'd still have people like dave angel belting out the techno, and fantazia (not to mention others) had house rooms, which sounds hard to believe but blissblogger wrote a post on it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yes droid but I am talking about my crowd ie the vanguard not the mainstream. The people who are always seven steps ahead. The people who had switched to garage by '96

so you're stuck with us then? 7 steps behind still liking jungle in 94. :)