Cultural Theory Greatest Hits

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Did you spend the next few days, weeks, months - even years - imagining the perfect line that would have shut his cockney cakehole right up?

I do that sometimes, and also imagine what I would have done if I'd been well ard. Smashing heads into surfaces and so on. Sigh.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You should have said

'Listen mate - time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
So FUCK OFF.'

luka

We've had two threads from Barty recently reaching out to the reading community and asking for advice. He really wants to read and we have to give him all the help and encouragement we can. Which means don't make it boring Corpsey Version Tea etc. You have to jazz it up, make it seem cool to his info-fried fast twitch brain.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not into the shit he's asking about here. I'm a conservative Victorian romantic. I don't trust french people or Bolsheviks.

luka

Don't distress your poor old mother Corpsey. This is about a process of staying open and engaged not clamming your mouth shut like a toddler and saying "I don't like it" I can't tolerate that kind of behaviour you might be a Victorian but I am a Victorian parent

luka

This stuff and poetry are both about the value of reading things you can't understand a word of imo

luka

Totally frustrated and despairing like trying to talk to a nutter who has lucid moments were they turn into a prophet of unparalleled profundity, trying to sort signal from noise

vimothy

yurp
de landa is D&G (humanity is an illusion, everything is energy flows colliding, no intentionality or directedness) in plain language, applied to the study of history. it's still a very weird perspective, and flawed, but it's understandable

version

Maybe the oik was an internal creation and Craner was looking for a reason to stop reading it.

sadmanbarty

I can see what you're both saying. I remember reading it on a train to Eltham once and this cockney geezer got on at Lewisham, sat opposite me, and then loudly took the piss for the rest of the journey. "A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History, is it mate? Ha ha ha ha!!! What the fuck is that? A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History!?!? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA..."

I went crimson.

the first time craner met luke

vimothy

yurp
*oik eventually stops laughing and returns to reading his dog-eared copy of francis yates' the rosicrucian enlightenment*

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Craner missed out the part where the oik argued that nonlinearity is a bourgeoisie ploy to conceptualise the historical inevitably of the death of capitalism out of existence.