version

Going through the Recollection GRM back cat. atm. Haven't listened to this stuff in a while, so it's currently very refreshing. There's so much space in it, so much texture to it. I thought it might start to congeal into one big mass, and it does a bit. Some of it sounds more synthetic, some more organic or like actual objects, but listening to it like this does impose a sense of continuity. It invents a vast landscape/soundscape/map/architecture.

The one I'm listening to atm's specifically to do with the four elements, although the accompanying notes tend to slip my mind once I'm listening. The first track's supposed to be modeled on Air and I could hear that immediately, but the second's Water and some of it sounds more like the inside of a cave or building.

The spatial metaphors have come up on here plenty of times and in all sorts of contexts, but this stuff really lends itself to them. Everything you hear sounds like an object or particular space or substance. You're listening to toothpicks and creaking doors, liquids and gases, tumbling stone, dripping water, twisting metal, cave networks. The unmoored raw materials of more or less everything contorting themselves into strange new shapes.

Got Marchetti's La grande vallée / Micro-climat on atm and it stands out for being darker and more unsettling than some of the others. Not uniformly dark, but it's got these flickering, whip-like tendrils and snatches of voice which conjure up images of Hellraiser and there are sections like night-walking the haunted woods of Twin Peaks. Breaths, twigs underfoot, animal calls, insect sounds, rustling bushes. Swear I could hear a baby crying in the distance at one point.