Hip Hop/Electro with the "sickest, most insane sonics"

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Barty for instance when he hears anything from the '80s it just makes him giggle. He's very condescending towards it. Treats it like a children's cartoon.

This is interesting cos perhaps 'sick, insane sonics' are themselves now antiquated, laughable?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is interesting cos perhaps 'sick, insane sonics' are themselves now antiquated, laughable?

Distortion was on the rise in rap music last time I was into it but I dunno if that trend continued...

That might have been to do with Yeezus? I'm sure Crowley knows.

CrowleyHead

Distortion as novelty appears to have mostly gone away outside of small pockets of younger rappers. A lot of those rappers who blew up with big mega-distorted hits got co-opted p. quickly and their sounds cleaned up.

Anywho:

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C7Okvrwtg6k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was having a rough time trying to find a specific tune of theirs that sort of made a 'detuned' homage to "Planet Rock"

mvuent

Void Dweller
corpsey we get it, you really like autechre. you don't need to bring up them up out of nowhere all the time!!! its cool if your into that "experimental" bollocks but some of us like music with a tune!

mvuent

Void Dweller
if it wasn't obvious, the title is a reference to this thread, so the idea is to think of hip hop--80s in particular--in a similar light. but more generally I wanted to see if I could draw any leads (music or other knowledge) on this era from the collective dissensus encyclopedia.

I think the similarities are in how pop music hooks and musical sources are juxtaposed and combined with "insane sonics" enabled by scratching, distortion, and edits, and also all the rhythm ideas kodwo eshun talks about. if anything this music at its best feels freer that jungle to me, since any element can be as fluid and kinetic as breaks can.

this is particularly the case in mixes, for example:

also Corpsey, in case it wasn't clear my last post was a joke. I brought up autechre obviously, and I always enjoy reading your contributions here and in other threads.

Last edited:

luka

Corpse don't want a mvuent apotheosis. He doesn't want to share the spotlight, treading on his toes when he sees him just beneath him on the ladder and closing.
Code:

I meant fingers not toes

mvuent

Void Dweller
alright I can see the page 3 interest slump has set in.

I think the similarities are in how pop music hooks and musical sources are juxtaposed and combined with "insane sonics" enabled by scratching, distortion, and edits, and also all the rhythm ideas kodwo eshun talks about. if anything this music at its best feels freer that jungle to me, since any element can be as fluid and kinetic as breaks can.

another great twist you get in this stuff is that sometimes pop vocal hooks are deployed as disorienting bursts of noise rather than to create a contrasting moment of warmth and serenity. can be beautiful in a harsh, futuristic way. definitely feels to me like a post-soul move.

listen to the dive bombing effect at 3:00-3:40

or 1:15-1:30

Corpse don't want a mvuent apotheosis.
haha, that's a long ways away still.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
There's the hyper-staccato beats an scratches with extreme contrasts of reverb space:

Sometimes I think the "golden age" was just a humanist deviation and must be ruthlessly suppressed.

mvuent

Void Dweller
at least listen to this

for the first 30 seconds you can hear "owner of a lonely heart"--then it goes through a transformation as """insane""" as anything in electroacoustic. can never believe what I'm hearing.