Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Duke Nukem threatening to rip off the final boss's head and shit down his neck - and then, once you've killed him and thus completed the game, proceeding to do exactly that.

luka

I'm not familiar with Overwatch but Fortnite isn't ultraviolence, it's TOO cartoony.

The real ultraviolence comes with Grand Theft Auto and Doom and the like. Arms torn off. Innocent civilians bleeding to death in the street. The first disbeliving swig of vodka.

Hmg I don't think you should stand for Corpsey insinuating your lad is a fairy.

luka

As someone who saw driller killer at the age of 8 - no.

We showed Michael jacksons thriller video to my mates twin 5 year olds recently and they absolutely shitted their pants. We felt quite guilty. Lifetime trauma.

I'm not familiar with Overwatch but Fortnite isn't ultraviolence, it's TOO cartoony.

The real ultraviolence comes with Grand Theft Auto and Doom and the like. Arms torn off. Innocent civilians bleeding to death in the street. The first disbeliving swig of vodka.

He did play GTA for a bit when he was 6. He didnt get very far, just drove about, crashing into sidewalks.
And call of duty mw3, he loved that.
There was a 2 or 3 year hiatus shortly after because the Xbox 360 "broke"

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
T2 is an amazing action movie but isn't it lame how Arnie becomes a cuddly cyborg and also it's got Edward Furlong in it?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We showed Michael jacksons thriller video to my mates twin 5 year olds recently and they absolutely shitted their pants. We felt quite guilty. Lifetime trauma.

Being afraid of Michael Jackson is a pretty good instinctual reaction in small children, to be fair.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe me and my friends weren't the norm for young blokes, we were nerds so - grand theft auto, postal, drawing guns, guns, guns. Anything that didn't involve real violence, which terrified us and was dispensed by scary boys with undercuts and bomber jackets.

Anyhoo, what might be interesting is considering other horror movies which have changed in resonance over the years. Like terminator is now clearly about gun control and dehumanisation.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember well-meaning teachers at primary school banning toy guns. Which was a rather Sisyphean task, given that a bent stick is as good as a replica AR-15 to a small boy.

I'm fairly sure most of us who ran around yelling "UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR, I shot you, you're dead!" managed not to grow up into mass shooters, bank robbers etc.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I remember well-meaning teachers at primary school banning toy guns. Which was a rather Sisyphean task, given that a bent stick is as good as a replica AR-15 to a small boy.

I'm fairly sure most of us who ran around yelling "UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR, I shot you, you're dead!" managed not to grow up into mass shooters, bank robbers etc.

Still probably not that healthy tho

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well the good thing in the UK is that generally speaking you can't get your hands on real guns.

Imaginary guns - I'm ambivalent on. As in, I like playing gun-em-ups, mowing down sprites with a submachinegun gives me my only erections, but I recognise that glamorising guns probably isn't cool.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Still probably not that healthy tho

I dunno. I think boys have played at war since time immemorial and except for the few who take it all a bit too seriously, most of them forget all about it around the time they start to get interested in girls and beer and manage to turn into more or less normal, non-psycho adults.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"the few who take it all a bit too seriously" make me think of luka's characterization of vim as "that weird quiet intense boy we all knew at school who spent every break time doing these huge, not very good but incredibly detailed drawings of whole cities being destroyed by tanks and war planes", which has - evidently - stuck with me.

version

... that weird quiet intense boy we all knew at school who spent every break time doing these huge, not very good but incredibly detailed drawings of whole cities being destroyed by tanks and war planes...

One of my mates still has drawings like this that he did in primary school, he drew this huge battle scene of hundreds of Bart Simpsons killing each other, storming the beaches at Normandy, parachuting in and so on. He also spent months painstakingly crafting a model of a house then filled it with fireworks and blew it to pieces.