Video game music, OST,Soundchips etc

forclosure

Inspired by me coming across this video earlier today from the legendary Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage series,Revenge of Shinobi,Ys,etc)

Oi come bring your ideas what you think bout the influence of this stuff,what went into it documentaries all of it,podcasts WHATEVER

all of you come bring wheh you know or wha you want fi know to the table cause i know you lot damn well know theres waves and waves of shit we like thats inspired by this

forclosure

in relation to the last video (the singer is Takenobu Mitsuyoshi who did all the music and vocals for other SEGA classic Daytona U.S.A.)

forclosure

and just for you man since you are on that "songs with incredible sonics flex" PREE DIS

was gonna pick something from this game on my list but didnt fit finding out there was a game with jungle on the soundtrack blew my fucking mind when i came across it in MAME ,theres alot of meaty guitar rock on this which was bread and butter for SNK games at the time but this shit here is the ace in the hole

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One thing I notice about video game music (from the pre CD era) is how flat it is, texturally. It's 2D music. There's little to no sense of sound in space. As with the graphics (as they get more sophisticated), there's an increasingly rich facsimile of dimensionality, but not quite the whole thing.

version

There was that tune from a Wolverine game which preempted grime by around eight years.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Those strings are a good example of that flatness. There's a bit of reverb to them but they're very artificial sounding, no attack/decay or something. And how that found it's way into grime.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This one always sticks out in my memory as being so exciting that I replayed the level again and again almost just to hear the music.

Analogue to video games as sugar rush, pure pleasure.

Obviously synths like this influenced Joker et al. But also the ADHD of it, jumping from riff to riff, hopped up on Slush Puppies wideyed in front of an arcade machine.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's also an example of a recurring phenomenon in music (in culture?) whereby a sound that is by necessity cheap and shitty becomes so iconic that years later people use sophisticated expensive tech to replicate it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Version, we must have read the same articles or forums or whatever cos I know that Donkey Kong track without having ever played it (and the Wolverine).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yes it's definitely the shittiness that makes these old ones magical

It's like the Terminator, those shitty old effects which are clearly rubber and remote controls but somehow are much more palpable and scuzzy than CGI.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Soundtracks on games never stuck out for me much in the PS era and afterwards. Like I can't remember any classic themes from Tekken, compared to Street Fighter 2.

forclosure

you say shittiness (obviously in terms of a descriptive quality) but thats probably coming at it from ears that are used to games out that go out of their way to have these dynamic scores that sound massive,it all comes back to hardware it might sound flat cause i think from say the PS1/Sega Saturn era where the tech started getting really avaliable some of the old arcade stuff especially from the 80s-early 90s sounds proper tinny

but theres alot of fascinating stuff in terms of texture imo Zuntata were wizards when it came to stuff like you can hear some of the melodies that man like Jammer or Davinchie would use later or sound like early Tangerine Dream

i played that Wolverine game once by the way it stinks awful