thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean rave didn't even remotely break the depressing cycle of pay off, sign on, pay off, sign on. ah. that's it really. not much different to any other subculture since mod. so why not at least blow your brains out for the weekend?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
idk I'm 100% escapism I'm not like that orbital bloke, i approve of the nutter mentality. but if you're gonna be a nutter go hard or go home.

DannyL

Wild Horses
The weird thing was though it did affect people's perceptions and actions, shook off the collective character armour for a minute. There's a few essays about how E led to a decline in football violence. I don't know if that's true or if it's more that the cultural energy switched to something newer and more exciting. But things were definitely a little more peacable for a while. I know there was criminality and violence in the background but it was v much "off camera". I recall meeting someone who'd been around it like I had in a job a few years later, and I said something like "I thought it'd change the world, all those people on E" and he said "yeah, me too". And I know this wasn't just us, peace, love and MDMA was part of the discourse. Naive as hell for sure but it was in the aether.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well yeah, for sure, the real crims in all of this were the oakenfold and rampling types making a quick buck out of thatcherism whilst presenting it as antithetical to maggie when it wasn't really, just a logical consequence of her privatisation of leisure.

Should have kept it dark and jackin.

IdleRich

IdleRich
People on my fb are talking (complaining) about the rave exhibition at the Saatchi Museum now... anyone been/going?

Trillhouse

I vaguely remember talk of how, at the time, people's drug habits where being taken into the football grounds, starting the weekend early like, or maybe just continuing from the night before. E's emerging popularity definitely had a passing effect.

I once had a chat, over some records, with a guy who was a small time dj in the early years of the UK rave scene. He said he basically gave up because the scene he was in was co-opted by thuggish types and organised crime. He's was part of some illegal party, diy, type collective and it started out as some loose group of passionate people but once raves got mainstream popular and money came into play you'd get people turning up and physically threatening you do finish your set so their dj mate could get on.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

corpsey how do i engineer the death of the mixmag social base (and probably some of your mates) so this awful mafia publication will disappear from the face of the earth? the most uncool music in the world is now undergoing an ironic revival.