sadmanbarty

It's a shame because I found that moscow thread very energising like we were getting back to business

Back to business everyone.

What colour is it?

What smell?

How does it move?

What is it made out of?

How does it relate to the dancehall that preceded it?

How does it relate to rap from the past few years?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was about to slate it cos he did that gravelly cookie monster voice but the way he ascends out of that into a glorious songbird voice is magnificent

Sailing like a bird from sullen earth to sing hymns at heavens gate

Glissando and staccato the two primary elements of autogoon rap and apparently dancehall

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's really him bouncing and gliding between these different registers that makes this track interesting, cos other than the spooky synth the beat is pretty generic and it's called 'murda dem' FFS

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
tommy-lee-sparta-lawsuit.jpg

Is this how dancehall stars dress these days cos I am well down for it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So looking into this guy he seems to be a purveyor of 'GOTHIC DANCEHALL' (which sounds amazing)

And from listening to a few tracks he always does the gravelly/songbird thing, like he's possessed with a demon from the early 90s.

muser

Tommy Lee has managed to achieve something pretty special with his vocal signature. I'm pretty sure it relies on some effects maybe a really particular setting on autotune but still totally tied in symbiotically with some mad things hes doing with his vocal chords.

muser

He epitomizes that need for a distinctive vocal signature in Dancehall, something that isn't as important in the same way in hip hop maybe.

sadmanbarty

Tommy Lee has managed to achieve something pretty special with his vocal signature. I'm pretty sure it relies on some effects maybe a really particular setting on autotune but still totally tied in symbiotically with some mad things hes doing with his vocal chords.

autotune's at it's most consistently potent when it's coupled with whiney, nasal vocal timbres. that's why the emergence of autotune in rap and dancehall has also resulted in the death of the rapper and dancehall artist as the masculine ideal. autotune's penchant for infantile vocal delivery has ushered in the impish age.

droid

Some interesting vocal tics, too much autotune, but could be worse.

Riddim is a flat as pancake though, incredibly dull.

other_life

bioconfused
What colour is it?
burgundy
What smell?
garments stained with grapes. teeth white from milk and eyes dark from wine.
"who is this coming from Edom, and why are your garments stained red?" "I have just returned from my vineyard, where I have trod down peoples"
How does it move?
serpentine at times, lurkin raccoon at others. bellydancer. gal couple months pregnant.
What is it made out of?
video narsty pratical fx, liquid oxygen and melted gummy candy
How does it relate to the dancehall that preceded it?
not qualified
How does it relate to rap from the past few years?
catalogs and makes full use of its jinnish lexica

droid

autotune's at it's most consistently potent when it's coupled with whiney, nasal vocal timbres. that's why the emergence of autotune in rap and dancehall has also resulted in the death of the rapper and dancehall artist as the masculine ideal. autotune's penchant for infantile vocal delivery has ushered in the impish age.

The impish age began in the late 70s and has arguably always been a significant current in dancehall, hence the penchant for child stars.

other_life

bioconfused
revealing of a conversation between dancehall, american rap and uk club tunes. developments in dancehall influenced those in american rap, influencing those in uk club and now it's returned to ja and taken even further with MMM, SPAHHHTAAAHHH

luka

Comparing him to a racoon is good. Im still at work or I'd get involved obviously I think droid is completely mental

sadmanbarty

i like to think of those ghostly gasps in the background as being swarming apparitions that posses him throughout the song.