Not listening to music

version

For the first time in years I haven't listened to music on a daily basis, just haven't had the desire to for whatever reason, and I'm surprised by how little it's bothered me. I dunno whether it's simply a case of fatigue or something more significant, but at times it hasn't even occurred to me to listen to it. The thought just hasn't entered my mind.

A while back I read some article or interview with someone who said that they didn't really listen to music anymore and it seemed so alien, such a huge thing to cut out of your life, but it's actually quite relaxing not having that particular sensory input, gives you some room to breathe.

I'm sure I'll be back to it soon enough, but it's interesting that something I thought was so important fell away so easily.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I listen to it everyday but there's more competition for attention now. Even on my phone there's podcasts taking up hours of commuting time.

Didn't see that coming - audiobooks I find impossible to devote attention to (unless there's more than one voice e.g. Shakespeare plays), but podcasts I could listen to forever. Just my version of my mum listening to radio 4 all day.

There is a glut of music, and also I don't hear much that excites me in new music (no doubt through laziness, or aforementioned glut), but I am constantly discovering things - but only have the time (so it seems) to dabble in them. No more relistening to an album dozens of times, or even more than a few times.

Maybe all these podcasts plus my reading and blathering on here - maybe all those words are unhealthy.

version

I definitely struggle with new music atm, but it's extended to any music at all for the time being. The process of listening to it feels like it requires a lot of effort and it's much nicer to just listen to nothing at all. I said something in another thread about rather than being sick of new music or new arrangements of familiar elements, I'm sick of the elements themselves. I'm sick of drums and synths and guitars and voices and so on.

I've never been able to get on with podcasts. I instinctively want to do things whilst listening and when I do it ends up fading into the background and I miss half of what's being said.

luka

I haven't listened to music for years. It's not important to me. I'll put it on if I'm on drugs but most weeks I won't listen to anything more than short snippets of what people post here, if that. I got out of the habit in Australia. Partly being cut off from the source and partly living with someone who didn't like the same music as me. I think listening to music every day is fine for teenagers but a bit weird for big grown ups.

luka

I almost never watch films and I very rarely read books. I don't want to stuff my face with culture. It's gluttonous and disgusting and achieves nothing.

Leo

didn't listen to anything for the recent 12 days of holiday and felt oddly fine, calm and sane. felt like i had more time in the day to think about other things, freed up headspace for other activities.

or maybe that was the result of also going almost two weeks without reading about trump.

or trying to keep up with the hourly drama on dissensus.

version

I almost never watch films and I very rarely read books. I don't want to stuff my face with culture. It's gluttonous and disgusting and achieves nothing.

It's a very easy habit to fall into. You can stop listening to music, but you'll probably then go and watch a film or a show or play a game or read a book or watch some sport or read the news and the thought of not consuming any of those things leaves a void.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Smartphones have turned pleasures into penances.

Even the people who would never admit to being overwhelmed by it will complain about how many shows there are to watch.

version

The really ridiculous thing is that the choice can become so overwhelming that you can end up watching nothing at all.

version

With music I'm increasingly finding every aspect of it irritating. Listening to it, buying it, thinking about it, reading about it, the way it's presented in the media. It's become like someone having a very loud conversation nearby whilst you're trying to concentrate.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i mean i could do acid every day but then the rozzers would bang me up so i use music as the thirdformatic stress psychedelic.