Innovation & Purification

luka

Which I was trying to make in the Iconisation thread but I couldn't get it through

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
hard to say which way i would have gone in 93 honestly! this stuff was on an equal level of darkness and intensity as jungle. it would have been better if the split happened a year later but it didn't really.

sadmanbarty

This relates to third’s notion of the great overpowering/the proletariat.

Gnostic communism. Collectivism as not merely political, but cognitive

luka

But also as basic joy. As felt. What do you get from yaman mix if you stick it on?

luka

The absence of any fat. Any human gristle. Without all that loss of energy. That dumb communicative medium.

sadmanbarty

music is increasingly pivoting towards manipulating stimuli for physiological rather than overtly emotional impact. skrillex, the rap trio who shan't be named, etc. are all physiological experiences/programming far more than they are emoting. they're closer to fairground rides or seizures.

pivotal moments include:

- the death of singing as rap was born

- the raveolution

- timbaland managing to turn rnb- the most soulful music- into an excercise of temporal distortion via manipulation of information velocity

it's ironic that james brown- the godfather of soul- pioneered the musical techniques that would go on to make soulfulness untenable in the modern age.

ad lib rap too.

staccato has no corresponding emotion. it's not evocative of any feelings. can only be related to physically or in terms of information.

can't say the same for harmonies, melodies or even lots of timbres (a synth pad's warmth is nurturing and cocooning for example)

music's increased rhythm-centricness killed soulfulness.

funk- it's no coincidence soul stopped being called soul when it became rhythmic.

To answer the initial proposition of the thread:

1) harkening back to older styles of music has an inherent emotional detatchedness that comes with it. It’s pastiche, there’s a degree of distance.

2) as such it follows that genuine- or at least potent- emotional expression has to be done through modern forms and styles of music as they don’t carry the baggy age of being pastiche.

3) increasingly since James brown, but really ramping up with rap and rave music- modern music has been centred around rhythnic ideas.

4) rhythm often is processed far more in terms of movement or information than it is emotional. Even when it does conjur feelings, they’re not ones we’d consider ‘soulful’. Funkiness is about ego. Jittiriness is about anxiety.

5) as such we are unable to use either modern nor old styles to create new soulful music.

luka

Yeah right so what we need to do is take this stuff which is great and make it so it's not opposed to whatever third wants to do so we can start moving in a shared direction again... We are being bogged down here where we shouldn't be

luka

So pointless and aggravating when I literally just want to do some work, no wonder it's driven me to drink!