Thread: Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

It's the 20th anniversary of Kubrick's most cryptic and one of the most unnerving films I've ever seen. It took me forever to get round to it and when I eventually did I remember being both sick with dread and unable to look away. It's up there with Repulsion in terms of literally everything about it feeling hostile and threatening, like being in a situation in which every fibre of your being is screaming at you to run.

There are a ton of theories about what's going on, but one of my favourites is that we're actually being shown the same party twice. It's all the same people, the same events, just with the veneer stripped away, through the looking glass.

The glow of the whole thing is brilliant too, there's something about the lighting which gives it this soft, dreamlike quality which Gaspar Noe seems to have ripped off in every film since Irréversible - along with the font and block capitals.

ac81c8f929d8a1077a411424e041a471--christmas-movies-christmas-lights.jpg

luka's favs obviously have their take on it too:

The Hidden Messages in “Eyes Wide Shut” - https://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesan...ide-shut-pt-i/

“Eyes Wide Shut” was promoted as a steamy, suspenseful movie starring the “It” couple of the day: Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. While the actors were prominently featured in the movie, it is everything around them that told the true story of “Eyes Wide Shut”. Stanley Kubrick’s attention to detail and symbolism gave the movie an entire other dimension – one that cannot be seen by those who have their eyes wide shut. This multiple-part series will look at the hidden symbolism of Kubrick’s final film.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Ffs wrote a massive post here about my problems with Kubrick and it deleted. D'oh.

Anyway, here's an ancient relic of my Kubrick stage, when I was smoking bare weed and watching his collected works in a haze of idolatry.

http://dirtnap2.tumblr.com/post/1102...y-kubrick-1980
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Enjoyed that and I agree re: The Shining being a black comedy, there are some genuinely funny moments in it despite the general thrust of the story. Nicholson often seems to do or say something funny then hold an expression just too long or with just too much intensity that it's still funny, but there's an undercurrent that puts you on edge.

The scene with the bat always cracks me up, but it's also horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    luka's favs obviously have their take on it too:

The Hidden Messages in “Eyes Wide Shut” - https://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesan...ide-shut-pt-i/

“Eyes Wide Shut” was promoted as a steamy, suspenseful movie starring the “It” couple of the day: Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. While the actors were prominently featured in the movie, it is everything around them that told the true story of “Eyes Wide Shut”. Stanley Kubrick’s attention to detail and symbolism gave the movie an entire other dimension – one that cannot be seen by those who have their eyes wide shut. This multiple-part series will look at the hidden symbolism of Kubrick’s final film.
    I'm pretty sure this is how I discovered vigilant citizen