Leo

I wish I was turning 40 again. prime of life: wisdom gained, without most of the later aches and pains.

john eden

male pale and stale
Getting old is way way better than not getting old. We all know people who didn’t make it.

I think having mates who are different ages really helps.

40s were better than 30s for me.

You never struck me as someone who was stuck on youth anyway Luka? Older is better for poets and mages.

luka

Craner said to me today turning 40 was the worst day of his life and that he still wasn't reconciled to it despite now being 43. He says it still feels gut wrenching

Leo

looking back, 40s were my best years. seriously, it's a time to explore and grow without the anxiety/immaturity of youth or the loudening ticking clock of later years. perhaps not as carefree as in the past, but that's life.

Reactions: sus

version

I'm quite a way off 40 and just thinking about it makes me nervous.

You never struck me as someone who was stuck on youth anyway Luka?

I think everyone's stuck on youth. Nobody wants to see themselves age beyond a certain point. It's terrifying.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm quite a way off 40 and just thinking about it makes me nervous.

I think everyone's stuck on youth. Nobody wants to see themselves age beyond a certain point. It's terrifying.

Well maybe 80 I dunno. Stick around, kid.

Leo

of course, my comments are absolutely not an example of my denial of my own mortality and closer proximity to a grim death. can't speak for eden.

john eden

male pale and stale
I intend to thoroughly enjoy the short time I have left before I am brutally rendered incapable of doing so by my own rotten biology.

version

One thing I've noticed is that people don't strike me as old until they hit their 80s these days. Bowie was 69 when he died and he never struck me as an old man, Trump's 73 and even with all the dodgy cosmetic surgery he still doesn't come across as old to me yet I was watching a clip of Don Rickles on Carson the other day and they both looked ancient despite being in their late 40s.

version

I think it's the attitude and demeanor as much as the change in fashion, nutrition, lifestyle and so on; the war probably played a part too. You see someone like Lee Marvin or Steve McQueen or Charles Bronson now and it looks like they were born middle-aged.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah but I was watching this documentary about Bowie, my favorite man, and he was doing this big world tour in the 00s, fit as a fiddle, prancing around thin and wired, bags of energy every night, adoring female backing singers fawning over him, you look so young David, how do you do it David, etc. Then BANG massive heart attack.

Death begins at 40.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Turning 40 itself is no big deal. Unmemorable compared to other big life events, I'd say. (However, looking back on it is a different matter and makes me feel somewhat queasy with terror, like balancing above a precipice. So I'm half with Craner on this one.)

John is right though - making it is also a cause for celebration.

Also, speak to loads of 50-somethings, and they will - as perhaps in this thread, I'm not sure? - reassure you mightily.

Last edited: