droid

lol, OK, so you invent a thesis, ascribe it me without a scintilla of evidence and then claim that any denial is further proof of your razor insight. An old, and lazy rhetorical trick.

Since we're engaging in playground psychiatry - I know you're taking your 40th hard, but maybe you should spend more time coming to terms with the prospects of your own personal annihilation rather than projecting your anxieties onto others.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've noticed this sentiment in the Brexit debate. There's a morbid curiosity about just how bad it can possibly get and a sense of excitement over the increasingly ominous headlines.

I think for obvious if fucked-up reasons though. Many people believe that at some point change will HAVE to happen, things will get so bad. I don't see that as pre-ordained, sadly. Human beings' capacity to adapt very quickly to new norms is astonishing and frightening, and what sustains these far-right maniacs at the helm.

luka

I keep saying this isn't about you droid! What I'm saying is obvious and uncontroversial

DannyL

Wild Horses
I kinda think we've had such a lot of distance from the genuinely bad as well, that people can celebrate catastrophe quite easily. We haven't experienced any wide scale breakdown for some time in the UK. There have been some moments of upheaval but I barely remember the the strikes and power cuts of the 70s and 80s and I'm old as dirt.

I mentioned Syria above. You sometimes see those who lived through WW2 mentioned in these debates. Bit cliched to say it but those who've lived through breakdown aren't keen to repeat it.

droid

I keep saying this isn't about you droid! What I'm saying is obvious and uncontroversial

Fuck off with that. You framed your entire idea around your 'insight' into my psyche.

Look at why we are in this position. Corporate dictatorships that hid evidence, Bolsonaro, Putin, China and America, deeply illegitimate and undemocratic actors and societies. Even in the US 72% of the population want action on climate and the environment. You can make all kinds of arguments about the sustainability of humans as a species, but they are problems of systems and complexity. Is there a small germ within us all which craves destruction and death - sure, but thats not the root of the problem, rather a surprisingly small number of very evil people who have seized power and shaped how our society functions in order to maximise profit.

luka

No, you are the person everyone on the forum most readily associates with this tendency. The gleeful quality, the ghoulish lingering over gory details. What I said is its not exclusive to you. It's universal.

droid

No, you are the person everyone on the forum most readily associates with this tendency. The gleeful quality, the ghoulish lingering over gory details. What I said is its not exclusive to you. It's universal.

Again projection. You see what's in your own heart - now fuck off and cry on your candles.

luka

Droid where does this toxic nasty quality come from. It's really unpleasant. You're ruining an interesting thread by being a crybaby. Please don't. Just walk away if you find it upsetting.

a surprisingly small number of very evil people who have seized power and shaped how our society functions in order to maximise profit.

Amen to that. Everywhere you care to look, that's what's happened. Health, agriculture, architecture, education, even militaries are simultaneously hollowed out and geared for profit.
It's not capitalism that's the problem though. It's rent-seeking, monopolies and globalisation. We're being farmed. Small is beautiful is true, but we've allowed corporations and goverments to grow to a terminal size.

craner

Beast of Burden
Droid where does this toxic nasty quality come from. It's really unpleasant. You're ruining an interesting thread by being a crybaby. Please don't. Just walk away if you find it upsetting.

You deliberately goad him and then pretend it's not the response you want.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Amen to that. Everywhere you care to look, that's what's happened. Health, agriculture, architecture, education, even militaries are simultaneously hollowed out and geared for profit.
It's not capitalism that's the problem though. It's rent-seeking, monopolies and globalisation. We're being farmed. Small is beautiful is true, but we've allowed corporations and goverments to grow to a terminal size.

huh? isn't that inherent to capitalism?

droid

You start a thread, essentially framing your argument with an offensive 'insight' into my character that in my view amounts to a completely unwarranted personal attack.

I ignore this and address the substance of your point..​

You double down with the personal attack and amateur psychoanalysis, now adding that any denials just prove your point.

I make it clear in so many words that Im unhappy with this and ask you to stop.​

You triple down, claiming again Im just proving your point by disagreeing with this incredible inner truth you've discovered via your unsurpassed psychic abilities.

I point out that this is complete bullshit​

You try to wriggle out.

I dont let you wriggle out and again, address the substantive nature of the original post.​

You expand your accusations, Im now gleeful and ghoulish in my celebration of things I utterly despise with every fabric of my being.

I tell you to fuck off.​

You accuse me of being toxic and unpleasant.

You know I love you luka, but this is some fucked up shit.

Last edited:

Leo

we've seen this movie before. every few months on dissensus, the needling starts off entertaining then gets extended and and intensified to it's (il)logical conclusion (borderline nastiness), at which point one party says "fuck off" and the other sulks off, feeling temporarily unappreciated before reemerging a few days later on a different thread as if nothing ever happened.

like a kettle that eventually has to blow off some steam.

luka

It's not about you droid. You just happen to be the person people here identify the tendency with. I'm saying it's universal. My battery died (im in Devon and I think searching for a signal knackers it out)
so I had to go back to reading Adorno and the first thing I read is "Psychology knows that he who imagines disasters in some way desires them."
So this is hardly some outré idea I've dreamed up. As I said in the opening post it's absolutely fundamental to Ballard. Ditto the boredom with surfeit that permeates the west and the corresponding will to madness.

luka

100% not about droid. Sorry I upset you droid forget I put your name in it. Probably that was a bit naughty.