Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Strikes me that funk is DOUBLY dated, because it was sampled on all that hip hop and middling hip hop offshoot genres.

Leo

not a big fan, never willfully listen to it but there's still a place for hot, sweaty funk:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Sing it back gets a pass cos it's Roisin. Roisin gets a pass. Just full stop. She's fabulous. If you don't like Roisin, you don't like Electribe 101. If you don't like Electribe 101, you're dead to music, as in, music looks upon you and paints a red cross on your door. Roisin gets a pass.

I love the P-funk axis, Sly and Parliament and Funkadelic, so if you're gonna talk about cancelling them, then keep wankin in your sox.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so everyone in the middle east who has no idea the foggiest abou electotribe 101 has committed a grave sin? that explains sam harris and douglas murray then.

blissblogger

Funk used to be all I wanted in music, everything I thought music should be.

I even thought about learning to play the bass, so I could do slap-bass. (This is a few years in the early Eighties).

Then it stopped being all I wanted - or even anything I wanted, for quite a long period. All the Brass Construction 12 inches and Steve Arrington LPs mouldered in a box.

(I'm not sure jungle is funky exactly - it uses elements of funk (like it uses all kinds of things) but takes them somewhere different. Hyperfunk, meta-funk, infra-funk).

(The feel of "Amen" is not sexy or groovy exactly, the junglists picked up on that different potential in it and took it somewhere else.)

But what prompted the announcement of cancellation? I hadn't noticed a suffocating omnipresence of funkiness in the pop culture . But perhaps things are different in London?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nothing. funk is totally irrelevant in londons landscape. totally irrelevant. i know what prompted this thread but I'm not at liberty to say, which is exafctly i was annoyed with starting this thread and my satirical one...

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I personally concieve a continuum between "groove funk" and "spasm funk", the intensification of groove funk leads to disco/house/hip hop, the intensification of spasm leads to jungle.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The perfect balance between the two is where the West London lot percieve the sweet spot to be, but it's actually at the breaking point of tenson between them.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I personally concieve a continuum between "groove funk" and "spasm funk", the intensification of groove funk leads to disco/house/hip hop, the intensification of spasm leads to jungle.

yeh, which is why jungle has more in common with techno than a lot of people like to admit =- it's also why woebot's point from a few years ago was worth taking seriously.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
surely this debate was already had in the 80s

Level 42 and all that type of post jazz-funk fallout

cmon Luke I know it's a tough road but if we give up we let the Ronsons and Norman Cooks of the world win

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
we don't cancel jungle because of coffee-table book easy listening D+B, do we

no but this forum is turning into the oldskool nerd section of dnb arena 2009, living off the same 30 jungle classics, if there is even a point anymore, corpsey was saying the other month there are 30 good garage songs and it's this greatest hits attitude which means in the UK no music can have any longevity.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like poptimism as much as the next man but push that gradiant too forward in (non album/hit single based) black dance music cultures and you lose the point.