craner

Beast of Burden
I've been sleeping much better ever since I started to turn the wi-fi off on my phone at night.

luka

60 quid what a scam. still if a placebo works its just as good as genuine medicine. whats the difference

luka

thats why all the podcast guys flog placebos. its a harmless product, might even do some good, who knows. health supplements, nootropics etc

muser

I still think valium is the best drug there is for sleep, you may develop a horrendous psychological and or physical addiction but you get guaranteed great sleep without feeling like shit the next day.

luka

not doing drugs is another good way to sleep ive found. but sometimes staying up all night is also enjoyable. depends how much surplus energy you have available.

muser

I used to alternate with zopiclone which makes you feel like you basically haven't slept but is a great off switch but turns out it is in a weird class of drugs that are just as dangerously addictive as valium so realised it was pointless.

muser

not doing drugs is another good way to sleep ive found. but sometimes staying up all night is also enjoyable. depends how much surplus energy you have available.

My problem is I never have the actual to do anything productive or even want to consume media when I feel I should be sleeping. so I'm just left with a night of destructive thought cycles.

Not doing drugs is definitely preferable, I try to keep these things for when it's absolutely necessary these days.

luka

ive tried it in the period i was having sleeping trouble. but now im not having sleeeping trouble i sleep just as well with the wifi on as off. i keep my phone switched off most of the day and night anyway

mixed_biscuits

No, don't doubt it unnecessarily; it's a useful thing to have noticed if the effect is consistent.

Many schools still don't have wifi, for health and safety reasons.

There are doubtless individual differences in the extent to which people are affected, as with many things.

version

giphy.gif

sus

REM sleep (when dreams happen) is greatly reduced in people who smoke weed and drink booze. You bypass REM sleep and go straight into deep sleep. I assume you still dream a little bit but certainly not as much. In the podcast Matthew Walker explains that this is why alcoholics have delerium trems when coming off booze - they're dreaming while they're awake because the brain goes into overdrive trying to catch up on the dreaming its been prevented from doing. Which is suggestive of how important dreaming is - it's something to do with repairing the brain. This is presumably why a lack of sleep is linked to alzheimer's in later life.

Just a heads up that unfortunately, Matt Walker appears to be a deeply fraudulent academic who, in the great tradition of The Wire, has climbed to a foremost position in sleep research via his fraudulence. See (a) and (b).

sus

https://fantasticanachronism.com/2020/08/11/how-many-undetected-frauds-in-science/

0.04% of papers are retracted. At least 1.9% of papers have duplicate images "suggestive of deliberate manipulation". About 2.5% of scientists admit to fraud, and they estimate that 10% of other scientists have committed fraud. 27% of postdocs said they were willing to select or omit data to improve their results. More than 50% of published findings in psychology are false. The ORI, which makes about 13 misconduct findings per year, gives a conservative estimate of over 2000 misconduct incidents per year.

Sigh.