sadmanbarty

I’m going to make a where’s wally-style book but with Leo throughout these historical moments.

“There he is! Playing bongos for Santana at Woodstock”

“Oh look! Leo’s behind in the window of the dealt plaza”

“Look at Leo! He’s standing down that tank at tienaman square”

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quite liked it for the first I dunno how many minutes, then I got bored and I realised it was basically taxi driver without the nutrients. But not as good as that.

Phoenix is good in it. It looks nice. There's some fairly brutal murders in it.

It was also like king of comedy, but without the satirical elements.

Also it uses a song by Gary glitter ffs

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Did you feel the whole incel/4chan thing was overblown by the media?

Probably. It's set in Gotham, whatever time, but it's clearly something like the 70s, so there's no internet or whatever. There's a sort of sideplot involving a woman but he isn't ever positioned against women. He's positioned against the rich, but almost accidentally. He doesn't have any ideology. He's mentally ill and a victim of cuts to funding to mental health services.

But it's not deep, at all. Like I said, it's a fusion of taxi driver and king of comedy without the depth or satirical venom of either of those. It's effectively directed, it has memorable images, and Phoenix is transfixing. But it doesn't really amount to much in my view.

There's a lot of *is this really happening?* going on but... I dunno, just seems like a cheap trick, or an empty provocation.