Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Joker (2019)

Just watched it this minute in fact, as part of an accidental double bill with Repulsion. They worked quite well together as they are both concerned with mental illness... however that just exposed the paucity of the modern film. Just one example would be the way that the nastiness that the joker faces every day, being beaten up and shouted at on the bus etc, was not half as effective as the treatment of Deneuve in Repulsion. In that she clearly demonstrates signs of having problems (eg turning up to work with the rabbit's head in her bag) but no-one really reacts and helps her... and this low key accidental cruelty seems so much harsher and darker than the over the top stuff of Joker. Plus, yeah, it was boring as fuck.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 18-11-2019 at 02:46 AM.

interesting how gang weed memes preceded this movie by like a year. seems like an example of meme magic or whatever in how there was basically a memetic form of parody of this movie and its themes floating around the internet before it actually existed in the world.

https://twitter.com/gangweedarchive?lang=en

Two people I've spoken to about this movie really connected with it on the mental illness front - one (I'm pretty sure) has a mental illness issue and the other has a partner with a severe mental illness.

I felt the movie was exploiting mental illness and offering a potentially harmful caricature of it as resulting in brutal (what's worse righteous) violence, but I can see how it would resonate with mentally ill people/carers, particularly with support services being stripped away.

Haven't changed my mind on this movie being essentially charlatan, but I do find its wild success intriguing. I think there's something going on there beyond clever/amoral marketing.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Well... I'd say it's not like anything else that is out there at the moment.... though on the other hand it's very like some old films.

Though actually scratch that cos I read a review the other day of another new film that sounded almost the same but a lot harsher - anyone know what that could be?

could it be this film?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

A very difficult film to perceive. My mother did not understand the message of the film, and therefore just hated this film.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xianders For This Useful Post:

vector of evil

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Mark Fisher referred to a Blairs "hysterical joker face"
    ELv7GP8XsAA41QX.jpg

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Apparently it's up for eleven (!) Oscars.

Cos it made a billion dollars, presumably - and is only vaguely superhero related, so it has some sort of "prestige".
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

the oscars don't mean anything, usually a signifier for a terribly dull movie. it's a bit like the nobel prize for peace. no surprise the joker winning everything.

Obviously, but it's still somewhat of note. It's a huge film and the comic book lot have been desperate for an air of legitimacy for years.

Apparently this is from the French firefighter protests.

B5lP7R5.jpg