sadmanbarty

just want to say a huge thanks to version for making dissensus everything i want it to be in the past couple of days.

coming up with original, rich ideas. it's really great to see.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fight Club always reminded me of Ballard in its thesis that when things are boring then a shake-up, even one that involves getting your head kicked in, will be an improvement. Anyway, this Joker film is getting intriguing reviews everywhere, might have to make it the first of these "superhero" things I've forked out for in forever. I'm guessing it's basically his own film putting on a joker mask to get made - he said he's chucked out the canon backstory right?

version

It looks as though it's at least partly based on The Killing Joke as he appears to be a failing comedian.

sadmanbarty

I genuinely consider the joker archetype in its modern incarnation disturbing, a vector of evil as I say

it is the vector of the disenfranchised white man, one of the most malign and lethal forces in the world today:

THE GRAND THEORY:

White Anglo-American civilisation coped with the civil rights movement and Windrush because:

1) rock music was a legitimate white cultural identity

2) there were white artists who were able to successfully appropriate blackness (elvis, jagger, dj hype, danny weed, kc of the sunshine band, eminem, timberlake, dem 2, michael jackson)

rock music died in the early 90's. white people stopped being able to be black in the last 10 years.

now you either have hipsters who don't produce any culture (they only consume it) and ed sheeran which is really embarrassing.

that's why we now have trump and brexit

clowns were a recurring motif during white america’s last cultural hoorah of the 90’s:

the insane clown posse, slipknot had a clown in it, when i googled it there are more white clown rappers and korn had a song called ‘clown’.

thus in the millennial subconscious clowns are intrinsically tied to suburban, socially alienated white people.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Re. your Secret Sun link Luka, I listened to this interview a while back which I found genuinely a bit scary.

He seems to have hit the point when all the synchroncities start answering back: https://runesoup.com/2017/09/talkin...ped for this film. The trailer looks amazing.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
The joker does seem absolutely emblematic of the 4chan mindset, chaos for the lols. Be very interesting to see how this is handled.

luka

Did you read the secret sun thing Danny? I think he's right here. You look at the evidence and it's clear they're working from the killing joke template, not a band I knew anything about before reading the essay. A lot of his stuff just reads like Apophenia run wild, even to me, but with this he's on solid ground.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Did you read the secret sun thing Danny? I think he's right here. You look at the evidence and it's clear they're working from the killing joke template, not a band I knew anything about before reading the essay. A lot of his stuff just reads like Apophenia run wild, even to me, but with this he's on solid ground.

I've not read it all yet - started, but I had insomnia last night so am giving my brain a bit of a break.
I found that interview I heard with him really affecting though. I might have it wrong, but it felt like an dispatch from the frontlines.