Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncut Gems (2019)

Lopatin looks and sounds like he's ill these days.

safdies are the best american filmmakers doing it right now.

lopatin's score for UG is intense but it might make the films even better if he used some more modern synths.

Definite 80s vibe going on with the tunes. I like the melodies (especially those sounds accompanying the zoom shots) and have been enjoying the soundtrack in bits, but i think lopatin is massively overrated.

I like a lot of his stuff, but I think he's overrated in the sense that he isn't making it all himself. He has people like Paul Corley making him patches and stuff.

There's that guy who did one of his videos (Jon rafman?) where it was about furry culture or whatever, and he nicked loads of footage off someone else, then got found out. I kinda feel that whole vibe is all over him. He's not genuine. Also this whole lopatin thing, no longer oneohtrix point never, what's that about.

He made a couple of good but forgettable pieces. Nothing worth giving a shit about imo. It's like music that ticks all the status quo boxes. Lone guy in Brooklyn with Russian heritage playing minimal shit on vintage analogs. Add some simple but haunty harmonies and you have a sellable artist to millenials.
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 16-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    cheep cheep

GOLDMAN v SILVERMAN

Rod Goldman and Al Silverman are street performers who work the tourist scene of Times Square. Goldman gets no respect and Silverman is the first one to make sure of that.

Directed By: Josh and Benny Safdie

Starring: Adam Sandler and Benny Safdie

This is interesting.

An Unserious Man

Uncut Gems, the Safdie brothers’ winter blockbuster starring Adam Sandler as Howard Ratner, a sleazy diamond dealer caught in an escalating series of debts, might be the most explicitly Jewish mainstream movie since the Coen brothers’ A Serious Man (2009). Its release prompted the following emergency meeting of the editorial staff of Jewish Currents to discuss what Uncut Gems says about contemporary Jewish identity. This conversation has been condensed and edited, and includes spoilers.

https://jewishcurrents.org/an-unserious-man/

DK: I think we’re onto something with this idea of Ratner as Shylock archetype. Right in the title, and in everything that drives the action of the movie, is an economic sector that Jews have languished in for most of our history.

When we talk about capitalism now, we’re often asked to distinguish between, on the one hand, the real economy of manufacture and production, and on the other, a new economy of abstractions—financial products, derivatives, apps—which is where the real money is. What’s interesting about gems is that they exist somewhere in between. A gem is a physical thing that is mined and refined and processed and sold, but its value is entirely positional and social, a way to flaunt wealth and social status. On top of that, a kind of unfashionable way to do it. Ratner is both the old economy—the medieval merchant—and a modern exploiter of the Global South.

OC wanted to call his sophomore album "Jew-ells" but presumably the record label talked him out of it

OC?

[...] There’s the intimation of world politics at the beginning when it’s Chinese guys who own the mine. There’s a whole world out there happening, and then it’s happening inside of this gem and Ratner cannot see it. The movie is about a man who comes into possession of a piece of the universe and doesn’t know what it’s worth.

MB: Or only knows what it’s worth.

JP: And then he’s wrong. At the auction it’s worth way less than he thought!

NG: Are you sure he can’t see it? Ratner literally says, “You can see the whole universe in these things.”

JP: I think Ratner is a man without metaphysics. He’s incapable of metaphysics, or meaning, or any of these things. The question to me isn’t so much, does he have to be Jewish? Rather, it’s this: what does the fact that he’s Jewish mean? In this case, nothing. He’s festooned with Jewish symbols—the sign on his shop that’s a blessing for the store, the book Great Jewish Men—but when you ask what’s really Jewish about it, Jewish on a level deeper than a pastiche of symbols, it’s hard to answer the question.

There’s that Leonard Cohen quote where he says Judaism is “a secretion with which an eastern tribe surrounded a divine irritation—a direct confrontation with the Absolute. Today we covet the pearl, but we are unwilling to support the irritation.” Ratner doesn’t even come away with the pearl. He’s got nothing. He’s the non-Jewish Jew, in the opposite sense of Isaac Deutscher’s non-Jewish Jew. That to me was the central uncomfortable reality where this best reflects our lives—more than, say, the spiritually fraught main character of A Serious Man.

AA: In that sense, he’s American.

JP: Exactly. He has to be American.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I thought you were making a joke about Craner.

I made a new years resolution not to bait Craner any more

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: