Uncut Gems (2019)

entertainment

loved it. the good kind of realism where the people seemed like actual people and not that awful annoying realism where the people are mostly just expressions of some 'hardcore', gritty, emotionless artistic vision.

Simon silverdollarcircle

I watched Good Time this evening. v. good but found the soundtrack really intrusive. Like oneotrix point never was constantly trying to up the tension when the film didn't really need it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Finally got round to watching this... enjoyed it mainly. Great performance from Sandler, he looks completely different - in fact he is completely different - from last time I saw him. Which is partly cos last time I saw him was about twenty years ago and I turned him off saying I never want to see that person again.
Lots I liked about it, lots I didn't though... I guess cos this thread is twenty-thousand pages long that most people have seen it so it's not a spoiler to talk about the end. I didn't buy the bit when Pauli Walnuts shot everyone, I think it would have been much more in keeping with everything so far, and more fun, if there had been some kind of reconciliation based on the won bet, I think that could have been the right ending and would have fitted better with what went before.
Bigger problem, I really liked the first scenes when I couldn't understand what was happening and (this goes along with what I was saying in the other thread about realism and so on) as it went on, the more understandable it became, the less realistic... the tenseness was exchanged for comedy. I think that may be some kind of paradox of realism in films - reality is too hard to understand so realism and narrative tend to be enemies.
As an aside, I very much like the guy who played Arno. He was Bernie Sanders in Succession but I first saw him in Wonderland Avenue as Eddie Nash (I think he's called). Grimly fascinating film about a brutal and - to me - interesting bit of - almost - hollywood history, worth checking if you get a chance.

Last edited:

catalog

The lads have started a radio station now and I've listened to a couple of programmes and they're good. Elara fm. Sort of like a resonance type thing, talk and chat and tunes. Archives on sound loud, get into it

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Didn't "get" it, a gnat's cock's width away from a cultural abortion.

Arguing intercut with synth decompression warmth, intercut with noise, intercut with trippy visuals, intercut with more arguing, intercut with some weathered faced criminals, intercut with oh he's that actor you know the radio host off fuck me he's aged, intercut with more arguing, intercut with the end.

Style over substance, for substance see storytelling. Whoever Adam Sandler is, he should retire promptly, but he won't because of the casting herpes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've not rewatched UG since it came to Netflix. I don't really feel inclined to, either. I'd watch Good Times again, though.

catalog

I listened to the show with buddy duress calling in from rikers, good to hear he's still in the loop, but he sounds a bit down