Uncut Gems (2019)

version

I still haven't seen a trailer but this review's promising.
An awe-inspiring prologue, set in shadowy depths of an Ethiopian mine, chronicles the discovery of a costly rock filled with shimmering opals. The ominous sequence suggests a hat-tip to Indiana Jones, at least until the movie turns psychedelic. The camera careens closer and closer to the rainbow-colored diamonds and then keeps going, veering inside their fibers as if channeling the star gate in “2001: A Space Odyssey.” But as the shot resolves itself within Howard’s colonoscopy, the magic becomes entwined Howard’s rough-hewn world, epitomizing his desire to possess otherworldly power even as his actual world constantly unravels.
Adam Sandler has embodied many obnoxious, self-absorbed figures over the years, but with “Uncut Gems,” he plays the most contemptible character in a 30-year career. Directors Joshua and Benny Safdie’s followup to “Good Time” is on that same wavelength — abrasive, deranged, driven by an insuppressible blur of movement and noise. It’s also a riveting high-wire act, pairing cosmic visuals with the gritty energy of a dark psychological thriller and sudden bursts of frantic comedy, and it’s the first movie to truly commune with Sandler’s performative strengths since “Punch-Drunk Love.” If “Uncut Gems” leaves people rattled, disoriented, grasping for clarity in the chaos of one man’s hectic routine, that all speaks to the sheer precision of a visionary achievement in full control.

Last edited:

entertainment

A24 really filling the void of medium-to-well financed "indie" movies. For a while there it seemed to be either tiny independent productions or gigantic blockbusters.

version

Something I like about the Safdies is that they cast really odd people, people who aren't really actors. Necro and Eric Paykert, an actual bail bondsman, were in Good Time and Kevin Garnett and Mike Francesa are in Uncut Gems.

catalog

Really looking forward to this one. I think good time was my favourite film I saw at the cinema in 2018. Would also recommend ppl check out their two previous features, daddy longlegs and heaven knows what. And Frownland, by good time co-writer of good time, probs the best of the bunch. Eraserhead vibes on that one. I think these two brothers are the real deal. Proper cinephiles but also real people.

version

They seem like the type to have tons of stories like that, some people are just weirdo/trouble magnets.

catalog

Watched 'good time' again recently but dint enjoy it so much. The story is too hokey. Oh well, high hopes for 'uncut gems' still

catalog

Just saw it. Cracker. Sort of like a less arty 'killing of a chinese bookie'. No buddy duress tho. I want them to grow up a bit. Stakes wanna be a bit higher.

rubberdingyrapids

safdies are the best american filmmakers doing it right now.

lopatin's score for UG is intense but it might make the films even better if he used some more modern synths.

catalog

Definite 80s vibe going on with the tunes. I like the melodies (especially those sounds accompanying the zoom shots) and have been enjoying the soundtrack in bits, but i think lopatin is massively overrated.

catalog

There's that guy who did one of his videos (Jon rafman?) where it was about furry culture or whatever, and he nicked loads of footage off someone else, then got found out. I kinda feel that whole vibe is all over him. He's not genuine. Also this whole lopatin thing, no longer oneohtrix point never, what's that about.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
He made a couple of good but forgettable pieces. Nothing worth giving a shit about imo. It's like music that ticks all the status quo boxes. Lone guy in Brooklyn with Russian heritage playing minimal shit on vintage analogs. Add some simple but haunty harmonies and you have a sellable artist to millenials.

Last edited: