Pretty Book Covers

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i feel like the oldest covers are always the nicest? and that with every new edition they become more boring and generic, could that be?

version

Some great ones here:

mixed_biscuits

sufi

lala
iu

version

i feel like the oldest covers are always the nicest? and that with every new edition they become more boring and generic, could that be?

It's rare I see a new edition and rate the cover. There tends to be more variety and personality amongst the older stuff. I get the impression the designers and artists were given more breathing room. That, or I just don't like current cover styles and the old ones have taken on a new life after crossing the time barrier.

martin

----
I nicked this edition from a library at 15 after months of renewing it - not saying that to sound cool (it was selfish), but I didn't know that one day you'd be able to find 10 of 'em on eBay. The cover sums up how I felt as a teen - sucked into a vortex of raging hormones, every filthy thought a gripping satyric epic. Baudelaire was great too.

20231005_220839.jpg

Paul Hogarth was illustrating the Penguin Shakespeare books by the time I did King Lear and Measure For Measure for my A-levels - I always liked this one he did for Macbeth, suits the goth vibe.

1715492201_21ca065244_o.jpg

Talking of Scots creating bloody mayhem...

IMG.jpg

SF Masterworks did some really horrible jobs on their PKD reissues - I have their version of Ubik, which looks more like a fucking Dr Who novella. I reckon they did OK with this one, though, which could also have been a G illustration on a fold-out Crass cover (but the text placement's hideous)

9781473223479.jpg

Finally, welcome to the Last Sufist Pub Session At The End Of Time (1890s edition)

30922128269.jpg