version

One thing I do remember is staying up with my mate watching the election results come in when Clegg and Cameron formed the coalition and thinking 'ffs'.

luka

Much much younger than corpsey then. No wonder he's got a bit of a grudge against you. He's always saying stuff behind your back.

sadmanbarty

Waka Flocka- Bustin At Em (2010)

Vocal Gabber. As crunchy as it is bouncy.

Barked barrel bomb ballistics. BOW! BOW! BOW!

Diabolic hedonism.

The feverish dance of demons. The dark dungeons of the id.

Cenobite music. A carnival of carnage. The Rabaa massacre.

Rape. Murder. It’s just a shot away.

sadmanbarty

Vybz Kartel- No Wild Grain (2010)

The bombast. The majesty. The grandeur.

This is the sound of a man ascending to God status in real time. A man transforming Jamaican society in his image; his bleached pigmentation like the golden skins of the pharaohs.

Dancehall’s Erdogan.

Dancehall’s Putin.

sadmanbarty

Dimzy- Darkside (2010)

The bourgeoning road lineage tipping its hat to its hardcore continuum predecessors. Rave-style cheeky sampling. MDMA cosmic diva vocals. But of course its just a faint echo. Just a fading memory.

It was time to move on, the future was waiting.

A future which 10 years on the UK still hasn’t truly grasped.

sadmanbarty

Rick Ross- MC Hammer (2010)

Back when men were men.

Before Catilyn Jenner. Before Young Thug. Before Obama cried about gun control.

Before snowflakes. Before avocadoes.

Meat music. Coal worker music.

Harvey Weinstein’s treadmill music.

Grab ‘em by the pussy.

MAGA!

sadmanbarty

Ill Blu- Blu Magic (2010)

The hardcore continuum’s humble farewell as it packed it’s bags to move to the retirement home.

It wasn’t as fast as it used to be. Not as wild. It’s clickety clackety drums like brittle, arthritic knees bumping against one another.

It was tired.

But every now and then you’d catch a glimmer in the eye. A sparkle that’d remind you of what it used to be.

A zaney sine riff. A future woop. A rhythmic angularity. All of it captured in a knowing look.

Hardcore. You know the score.

sadmanbarty

Vybz Kartel- Cake Soap (2010)

More bombast. More majesty. More grandeur.

Julius Caesar music.

The Portmore Empire battle-hardened and triumphant, ready to conquer the world.

version

What did you think was coming that didn't? Or was it something undefined and you just expected more?

sadmanbarty

Sneakbo- Ride Out (2010)

Another female vocal, but this time its not a cosmic ecstasy diva. It’s thin. Feeble. Week and warbled. It’s mournful.

A London at war with itself crying out for ‘Some Justice’. A London no longer able to "live as one family”.

The end of the New Labour-era. The desolate age of austerity.

sadmanbarty

What did you think was coming that didn't? Or was it something undefined and you just expected more?

i was only a teenager at the time, so i wasn't viewing music through an innovation paradigm yet. i wasn't really thinking in those terms.