mvuent

Void Dweller
the 2010's had a slow start, but the last few years have been some of the most future-facing since jungle. 2017 was when mumble rap, imp dancehall and uk drill all peaked and will go down as one of the greatest years in the history of music.

what 5 songs epitomize this peak? just roughly

mvuent

Void Dweller
I'm sure you have something bigger in mind, just curious if a really short, distilled list is possible

sadmanbarty

what 5 songs epitomize this peak? just roughly

imp dancehall:

a bit fragmented rap, but just overall cyborgishness

this beginning of this one hopefully gives you a good idea of the rhythmic dynamism you can get with the fragmented rap

this one's that fragmentation taken to its extreme

this one gives you a good idea of drill drums, bass, piano and mccing

sadmanbarty

these were life hugely important to my understanding of what i've coined "frag rap" (as in "fragmented rap") during 2017 itself , but have lost their magic since a bit because i played them to death:

sadmanbarty

There's some strange warping of time going on this decade. The decade itself feels as though it's gone incredibly slowly, but music, politics and so on seem to have moved at breakneck pace.

music was frozen till about 2015 and then out of nowhere every artist in america and jamaica just lost there minds and launched through the star gate.

sadmanbarty

i'd argue the difference between rap of the last few years is as different from the rap that preceded it as rock music if from rock and roll or house was from disco.

my mum and her boyfriend on two separate occasions heard me listening to it and asked "what genre's this?". it doesn't even process to them as rap. all it needs is a change of taxonomy and people would start evaluating it as being as radical as it is.

it's to be seen if it really is as much of a paradigm shift as i'm feeling it is.

version

I'm struggling to really remember the early part of the decade. I remember specific records, films and whatnot, but I can't recall how it felt, what the mood was like, how I felt. I'd say the tail end has been characterised by a pervasive sense of unease and anxiety, everything just feels off, like the ground could go from beneath your feet at any moment.

luka

I'm struggling to really remember the early part of the decade. I remember specific records, films and whatnot, but I can't recall how it felt, what the mood was like, how I felt. I'd say the tail end has been characterised by a pervasive sense of unease and anxiety, everything just feels off, like the ground could go from beneath your feet at any moment.

It was when Leicester won the premier league we knew our old reality had been discontinued and the future would be radical uncertainty

It was when Leicester won the premier league we knew our old reality had been discontinued and the future would be radical uncertainty

Tinfoilists attribute it to the Large Hadron Collider being switched on a decade ago, which opened a portal into Another Concern that has since infiltrated bog standard reality with emissaries from the harlequin cosmos.

sadmanbarty

Tinfoilists attribute it to the Large Hadron Collider being switched on a decade ago, which opened a portal into Another Concern that has since infiltrated bog standard reality with emissaries from the harlequin cosmos.

without a shadow of a doubt the single greatest that ever has been or ever will be written on dissensus.

sadmanbarty

the jinn are an inter-dimensional alien life form who came to earth to teach humanity islamic mathematics.

they then retreated awaiting the moment we were technologically advanced enough to show us the secrets of the fractal consciousness.

that time has come...

the-quran-explains-allah_s-creation-of-jinn-photo-u1.jpg

maxresdefault3.jpg

Attachments

• the-quran-explains-allah_s-creation-of-jinn-photo-u1.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
ImNotAHumanBeing.png

https://genius.com/discussions/109299-Proof-that-lil-wayne-is-an-alien

sadmanbarty

young thug does all the ATLien stuff. future does esco terrestrial. lots of them; takeoff, lil uzi. they love all that.

sadmanbarty

leiscester winning foreshadowed isis managing to steel loads of territory.

transexuals taking over rap music.

trump winning.

brexit winning.

corbyn winning the leadership.

the decade of the underdog.

mvuent

Void Dweller

I'm terrible at making those kinds of sweeping, large-scale observations but still...

to me it felt like the early 2010s were characterized aesthetically and maybe even culturally by tumblr. which is very much related to the whole “cocoon” idea. tumblr was obviously very associated with “SJW” culture but it still had a much more escapist, sensual (for lack of a better word), introverted quality than twitter (which arguably became culturally central in the second half of the 2010s). digging through obscure art/images/music to arrive at your creative output. consequently there was “genrewave”, odd future, a$ap rocky, etc. stuff with distinct aesthetics that seemed very unconnected to anything in reality. then after 2016 a more (as you say) uneasy, unromantic tone emerged. vaporware became alt right “fashwave,” etc.

you can even see this shift in artists that on the surface don’t have anything to do with tumblr. compare the press release for lee gamble’s latest album that was discussed in another thread with “diversions 1994-1996”—which was inspired by rediscovering obscure jungle tunes on youtube, rather than “feelings of helplessness in the age of trump and brexit” or whatever. I mean looks at how he talks in this interview and then the more recent one on resident advisor.

Last edited:

luka

That's a good observation. I remember becoming aware of tumblrs and being blown away by the visual sophistication. Aesthetic. All those old computer game graphics etc. I suppose you lot in your twenties were still kids at the start of this decade.

entertainment

The concept of tumblr had an interesting effect as aesthetics became a system for projecting identity. Visual impressions became inextricably tied up in personality traits, trends, politics, social status. Style has always been about social positioning, but now it the whole process was very explicit.

Irony quickly became a dominant principle. Perhaps a response to all the implications and connotations invading your individual creative expression. An evasive maneuvre, that became an aesthetic in itself in the form of kitsch.

Maybe the whole nature of tumblr just accelerated the dialectic dynamic that has always been present between art and kitsch.

Anyways, suddenly the cool kids started doing stuff like this: