catalog

thanks for posting those sinclair vids - i'll check em out. yeah i've often been disappointed as well when i've seen blake pieces in a gallery, as they're often tiny and a bit blurry. a lot of the books have this issue as well. i think it's to do with the printing? as in, they are reproductions off plates, and the versions we've got are from plates that have been overused. so there will be some amazing versions in existence, but often the ones shown in galleries might have been printed off a plate that had already been used lots of times and thus degraded a little. check the credit slips to see if it was blake's own printing, or one by someone else. there was a recent show at tate liverpool and all the actual prints were credited to someone else ie someone had bought the blake plates and made prints from them.

jenks

thread death
I went, it really was as good as i had hoped - had pretty much everything you'd want to see. I suppose one of teh surprises was just how vibrant the colours were - also how small many of the famous images are.
The downside is always just how crowded the exhibition was - making it difficult to see everything.

one thing i found a bit odd i suppose was the trigger warnings about some images containing images of slavery -it's not like anything in Blake's work would ever suggest anything other than absolute abhorrence.

luka

I've been twice but not been able to enjoy it yet. I bought the book. Grapejuice went(on opening day 11th september) and wondered if it mightnt be the counter magic to 9/11 send the world spinning in the right direction again

luka

Probably but very badly I'd imagine. Very very badly would be my guess. I doubt I'll even attempt to read the words. Luckily it's mostly pictures. About 200 pages long.

luka

Wasn't in the mood/too many people. I'll keep going till I like it. Just need to find the right day.

catalog

yeah i was considering coming down for it and still plan to, but the last time i went to the tate for an exhibition, the crowds and the fact you feel a bit rushed was really annoying.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess he's not a special case necessarily but

Even so I found myself disgusted to see Blake's paintings turned into tea towels and drinks trays.