pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
'Incunabula', 'Tri Repetae', etc. say nothing.

There's an element of forced exoticsm with this stuff imo. I think aphex is also guilty of that too, though. Albeit much funnier. He's like a modern zappa in that genius mind who has to play himself down way

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

the (presumably faux-)latin of it all. latin is used in law and in philosophy and so forth. again speaking to these abstractions that hang above culture. things you learn rather than absorb via social osmosis.

entertainment

Throwing all music that evades culturalized interpretation out the window is boring and reductionist. There's a lot that art has to say outside that stratum. Also if you look for it, I'm sure there's plenty of humans-as-droning-cogs-in-the-capitalist-machine knittings of Autechre into cultural contexts.

luka

Throwing all music that evades culturalized interpretation out the window is boring and reductionist. There's a lot that art has to say outside that stratum. Also if you look for it, I'm sure there's plenty of humans-as-droning-cogs-in-the-capitalist-machine knittings of Autechre into cultural contexts.

This post, regardless of how accurare it might be, is middle way mollycoddling and has no place on an autechre hate thread.

sadmanbarty

Throwing all music that evades culturalized interpretation out the window is boring and reductionist.

that's arguably the crux of this thread so far.

what does communicating culture actually give you? it gives you a gait, colours, emotions, moods, all sorts.

the intriguing thing then for an anti-autechian to know is what is the music communicating?

sadmanbarty

humans-as-droning-cogs-in-the-capitalist-machine.

a very 90's white world view. fight club presents the world in this way and i wonder if autechre does too.

hmgovernment needs to tell us about the increasing use of anti-depressants. does the music very accurately capture the feeling of anti-depressants?

sadmanbarty

for the most part the stuff on their 90's albums seems to be electro+vangelis or it's crunchy downtempo. .

trapped within the suburban non-idyl. neither the pastoral expanse of the countryside nor the cosmopolitan hustle bustle of a city. a music incapable of reaching any purity much the like the environment from which it emerges.

craner

Beast of Burden
When the Criminal Justice Act came in in 1994 to outlaw "gatherings" that played music with a "succession of repetitive beats" Autechre took on the the forces of law and order by releasing the 'Anti-EP' which included 'Flutter' which had no successive repetitive beats.

sadmanbarty

When the Criminal Justice Act came in in 1994 to outlaw "gatherings" that played music with a "succession of repetitive beats" Autechre took on the the forces of law and order by releasing the 'Anti-EP' which included 'Flutter' which had no successive repetitive beats.

the kids who correct the teacher

sadmanbarty

vangelis is the godfather of the faux-emotional. any evocation of him in the last 30 years fails to be soaring, and rather is pastichey and kitsch. replicants trying to feign humanity.

mvuent

Void Dweller
great thread lol. I wonder what prompted it now specifically?

the best music writing gets to the bottom of what makes an artist interesting and criticizes them from there, but no one's really done that with autechre.

agree? disagree?

luka

Prompted by a group bitch and moan session between me barty abd corpse this morning/afternoon

other_life

bioconfused
i made a guide to autechre video the other day for people not familiär with them so it's your lucky day today:

you're fucking with us
jungle's like in power rangers when they all come together to make one massive power ranger. it's all these culture's combining to make a mega culture.

maybe all the best music is brimming with culture.
for the most part the stuff on their 90's albums seems to be electro+vangelis or it's crunchy downtempo. it's music solely built to tickle children of the 80's.
you just perfectly described the chillwave trap (just crawling out of it now)
does the music very accurately capture the feeling of anti-depressants?
yes.
also if we're connecting fight club and autechre we should connect autechre back to big beat soundtracks in fight club and other films of this era that present this worldview and how big beat is breakbeat with... something missing. autechre as electro with that same Center/sex or network of guts missing?
and the way this reads out loud is just funny to me. never noticed it before
Autechre took on the the forces of law