thirdform

pass the sick bucket
they also have very little to do with vangelis. that's more bords of canada, who i have never liked and frankly i cannot for the love of me even understand how bliss likes them. Autechre's melodies are more detroit techno than anything.

I also don't like burial really but i can at least understand the whole androgenous pitching of rnb vocals. but even now that's been tainted by indie rock fans diluting electronic music of any vitality before they fuck it off into the gutter and start making guitar music again. happens all the time.

their 2010 melbourne set is totally channeling 90s squat party vibes, anything but mellow. and the one they did in vienna in 96 starts off very four dimensional, could have come out today.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Now that Barty has pointed it out, I've noticed that all their early tunes are cheap cheese and I've chucked Amber in the bin. It's funny that suddenly Autechre like it again, and now I've binned it.

lol fair enough ...but you have to admit it's a bit ironic that you hated them for years for calling their early tunes "cheesy" ...and then Barty comes along and calls them cheesy...and suddenly you notice you completely agree!

mvuent

Void Dweller
autechre = a band some like and some don't

autecher = music rooted in forms created within dance music cultures that functions as introverted nerd music

luka

One of the strange things about them is how a anachronistic they are. This kind of music has never been fashionable exactly but it had moments with IDM and later on in the glitch years but this lot are still at it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well, if you wanted fashionable you would have been listening to progressive trance in the late 90s, not UK garage. you're just trying to artificially squeeze everything into a framework that was over by 96, even bliss admits as much. techno got more abstract and machinic, dnb went loungey. a total inversion of the situation in 92-93 where the battle was between hardcore soldiers and detroit purists.

by the time uk drill came around the fashionable/unfashionable dialectic had negated itself. 1xtra made it so.

at least learn to hate properly lol rather than being this is nerd music as if you're not a forum addict.

also how can you be a benevolent ezra pound fetishising post-aristocrat and still talk about fashionable? this always seems to be done on this forum and its going to turn into the nuum version of bedrock message bords circa 2008. kill fashion! kill clothes, full nudity now!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i get what people find offputting about AE. It's not that it's moody in the traditional sense (of post-punk gloom or even drill) but that it's literally a self-replicating stand offish organism. It's moody, but more in the way of a serial killer, but not that knobhead who everyone knows is a cunt, but that real charmer. the problem with autechre for most is they are too seductive, like lsd. because if you listen to them clearly you hear that they are pushing contemporary dance forms to their absolute technological limit, and that's uncomfortable to most because suddenly its like hearing stockhausen all over again when you thought Jean Michel Jarre was this great innovator. they decentre the didactic personality entirely and let the machine do the talking. there's bucketloads of personality in the music of AE, but it's more the personality of the collective unconscious. it asks you to give up your time, rather than giving up its own time. why would it? It is just there, spitting out code. it has no need to please anyone and hence no need to take a horrifying career detour like Dillinja to please the Reading University massif. it's nerdy music but not your run of the mill nerd, who is more likely to be into the pointless huxtering of 2010s-20s neurofunk dnb bassline engineering. it's in its own way a new approach to the spatiotemporal fragmentation of dub. given that Bliss called them avant-garde electro, and electro goes back to the dubhead approach of disco, we come full circle. and let's not forget that dub records are austere. Luke is right that a london pirate will never, ever play a dub reggae record. I've never heard it - our relationship to dub owes as much to how we contextualised it in a post-disco context.

luka

woops was good mates with their weed dealer. but he died. aphex was a pallbearer. they all smoke too much weed. very hard not to get lost in the details when you smoke all the time. i remember from my painting and decorating days. spending three hours on a square inch of wall, always noticing new imperfections.

version

Sean did actually claim to have autism in the WATMM Q&A. Maybe he was just using it the way people say they're "a bit OCD" though.

mvuent

Void Dweller
'SIGN' LIVESTREAM IN 12 HOURS LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

T6BbRei.png

bZ3WpQ9.jpg

A38VSMn.jpg

HfvdtO1.jpg

d0wthrQ.jpg

97HZmm6.png

IDFa9M6.jpg