DannyL

Wild Horses
In a move clearly designed to win the hearts and minds of naysayers like myself, who've been softened up by the manifesto, Labour are moving to deselect Margaret Hodge.

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
So not only is it pretty clear that asking Putin to play nicely with the other children is not going to be effective, but even if it were effective, I doubt Corbyn would be interested in doing so, because as far as he's concerned, Assad and Putin are fighting the good fight, i.e. the one against Western imperialism and Zionism. Whether or not Syrian civilians particularly consider themselves to be agents of Washington or Jerusalem doesn't really figure in the calculation.

Now you're just talking bollocks.

subvert47

In a move clearly designed to win the hearts and minds of naysayers like myself, who've been softened up by the manifesto, Labour are moving to deselect Margaret Hodge.

When she spends half her time attacking her own party – and not just on anti-semitism – it's not surprising if her local constituency activists want shot of her.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Think how it looks to someone like me.

I'm from Barking, don't live there now, but I have an interest in the area.

I'd be interested to find out more about the local membership - Barking isn't (or wasn't) the kinda place one moves to. I wonder where all the (I assume) new activists have come from. Edit: I'm not expecting any to answer that by the way, I was just musing out loud.

I actually posted about this (the Hodge story) last night and deleted it as I'm more interested at this stage in new policy than I am in retreading the same adversarial positions that have been retrodden for the last four years now. But then I reread the story this morning and it fucked me off so much, I gave into my annoyance and posted it.

I'd really admire anyone at this stage who manages to transcend and overcome these divisions. Seems unlikely though, I think simply that those with power will ride roughshod over those without. I kinda think that's what politics is - the exercise of power (we'd be out already if the loss of majority hadn't limited May so much). That's Corbyn and co for the moment within Labour at least, unless an electoral shoeing changes things which seems like a definite though not certain possibility.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Now you're just talking bollocks.

Am I?

Bear in mind the total silence from the so-called Stop The War Coalition since the start of the CJTF's involvement in Syria five years ago, when Western forces' sole concentration on defeating ISIS made them de-facto allies of the Syrian regime. Then when they flung a few missiles at some empty air bases and nerve gas factories there were suddenly protests with people waving banners saying NOT IN MY NAME and HANDS OFF SYRIA - which of course actually means HANDS OFF ASSAD.

I know Corbyn hasn't been leader of STWC since becoming Labour leader but he was in charge for over four years, and it's very much the milieu he comes from.

Last edited:

subvert47

Think how it looks to someone like me.

I'm from Barking, don't live there now, but I have an interest in the area.

I'd be interested to find out more about the local membership - Barking isn't (or wasn't) the kinda place one moves to. I wonder where all the (I assume) new activists have come from. Edit: I'm not expecting any to answer that by the way, I was just musing out loud.

Actually, it seems I was wrong about this.

According to Barking PLP Twitter: she "secured the support of 55% of local branches and 90% of affiliated societies and trade unions in the trigger ballot (...) Under the old system this would have been more than enough to secure the nomination, and so we welcome the news she has put her name forward for the next stage."

And apparently it's the Labour right who moved against her, wanting a younger candidate who actually lives in the constituency. The left is still very much a minority in Barking.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cheers. It struck me as odd, knowing what I know about Barking. I was assuming it was the left which was very much how the story was spun in the story I read.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, I'm talking Tory party conference not Labour, but what do you reckon to their promise to raise the Living Wage to higher than pretty much anywhere in the western world (apparently)?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Long piece here I haven't read all of yet about Lab's Green New Deal.

https://peopleandnature.wordpress.c...zYcj7Od6MySiwDsXS2JOJZa2zS24LrpEcWB5zXfbOFvRA

Little taster here:
The aims of these resolutions will not be achieved without conflict – not only with energy companies, but also with senior Labour politicians and union bosses who talk green but support carbon-heavy policies.

The Labour leadership’s existing energy policy was crafted in part to avoid conflict with these powerful interests. In the electricity sector, it is committed to nationalise networks, but not generation (i.e. power stations) or supply (i.e. the marketing of electricity to customers). It is silent on nuclear power, effectively leaving the pro-nuclear GMB to drive policy.

On transport, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Labour’s shadow minister for business, energy and industrial strategy, announced in Brighton a proposed “electric car revolution”. This risks wrapping the carbon-heavy car industry in green colours, instead of focusing on the shift to cities with overwhelmingly non-car transport.

To shift these policies, along the lines the conference urged or even further, will be a battle.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
A quick google seems its kinda the same as for rest of the UK I think? Aof free hours past 3. Be interested to hear idfferent if I'm wrong. Spent all of one minute looking online so I probably am.

Ah, the Scotland exception was for free care over 65 (upon assessment - not sure about parameters) - sure you're right on the nursery/childcare