Moments in Film

version

The 'dance' at the very end of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is easily the best bit of the film. That and the opening with the grave robbed corpse on the headstone with the radio broadcast and the noise of that horrible metal door when he slams it shut after smacking the guy on the head with the hammer. The noise of the saw with the sun beating down and the lens flare is the one though. The way it just cuts off is amazing too.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes Baboon, especially if you know what's gonna happen. Maybe the film as a whole doesn't stand up to analysis afterwards but when watching you will be holding your breath.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another famous shot is the one at the end of The Passenger when it kinda pulls back through the house... somehow... also the grass in Mirror and the burning house.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The 'dance' at the very end of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is easily the best bit of the film. That and the opening with the grave robbed corpse on the headstone with the radio broadcast and the noise of that horrible metal door when he slams it shut after smacking the guy on the head with the hammer. The noise of the saw with the sun beating down and the lens flare is the one though. The way it just cuts off is amazing too.

A phenomenal film. All so good. I do love that opening scene - the sound design feels so avant garde, it sets the tone for what follows. Also when she wakes up and realises she is still in the nightmare.

version

I found Herzog's Heart of Glass pretty dull but the opening scene of the mist rolling over the mountains whilst the mystic recounts his vision of the end of the world is ace.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I found Herzog's Heart of Glass pretty dull but the opening scene of the mist rolling over the mountains whilst the mystic recounts his vision of the end of the world is ace.
Weird film that... isn't the last scene kinda cool? Staring out over misty seas to infinity. Reminds me of holudays to Orkney and Shetland as a kid.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I find him in general a dull film maker, as he's completely mad, but the beginning of Aguirre is so perfect, and so utterly as I had imagined it prior to seeing the film, that it brings a tear to my eye. Sound, vision and ambition.

version

A phenomenal film. All so good. I do love that opening scene - the sound design feels so avant garde, it sets the tone for what follows. Also when she wakes up and realises she is still in the nightmare.

I didn't get it when I first saw it as a teenager. There wasn't enough gore and it seemed a bit dated and silly, but over the years it got more and more impressive. It's just so raw and knotty. You can almost feel the heat through the screen and everything sounds amazing, so dry and crunchy.

version

Weird film that... isn't the last scene kinda cool? Staring out over misty seas to infinity. Reminds me of holudays to Orkney and Shetland as a kid.

Yeah, although it's now impossible for me not to think of them finding Luke on the island at the end of one of the newer Star Wars films. It looks basically the same.

Heart of Glass is also the one where Herzog hypnotised the cast and that guy wrestles the invisible bear in the woods.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Interesting. I saw it first at a midnight showing when I was 22, and it immediately made so much sense. Odder and more in love with cinema than I could have hoped. The heat seeping through the screen as you say - such a powerful sense of time and place.

sadmanbarty

texas chainsaw's amazing throughout. the humidity emanates from the screen; the woozy 70's film quality, the apricot colour scheme, the perspiration on the actors.

it all revolves around these non-sequiturs too (a bit like taxi driver in that sense). that dinner party in which the bloke can't pick up the hammer. then that murder where he just smashes the bloke with a hammer, with no suspense of built up before hand. leather face's naturalistic acting as the girl's got away and he's panicking as though he's just turned up to a big meeting at the office without the crucial usb.

a really great film.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
@version - Kinda amazing. The scene where they realise that they are REALLY lost in the woods communicated the hysteria of fear, how that's the scariest part.

Horror films just keep delivering. It's something about reducing options (in terms of repetitive plots) increasing creativity, and that the whole genre encourages the foregrounding of avant garde elements.

Last edited:

version

The bit with grandpa dropping the hammer over and over drove me mad when I first saw it, that was the moment where I really didn't get it and I was just like "this is fucking stupid."

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The family as the ultimate site of horror - terrifying and incompetent at the same time!

Impossible not to love.